GO!

can someone please explain to me about pits?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Monte

did you say bra- or car?

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '05 3:00am PST 
hi im from australia and im not sure whats going on, are ppl trying to ban pits?
and if so, what happens to all the pitts?
and are pits like bull terriers in oz?
please someone just give me a run down cos i find this really disturbing
[notify]
Sabrina- 2000~2012

To break- injustice we- must break- silence

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '05 7:36am PST 
Yes, people are trying to ban pits here in America. Basically, there have been some attacks where pits have killed or mauled children, and the media has jumped on these and shown them everywhere, while attacks by other dogs are simply labeled "dog attacks" and ignored or are mistakenly labeled pit attacks. In Canada I believe there was even a case where an Australian Shepard attacked someone and the paper called it a pit!

What happens to the pits? Well, in cities like Denver (recently banned pits) police are taking tips from people about who has pit bulls. The police then go to the house and sieze the dog in front of the crying kids etc etc and the dog is usually killed in like 2 days or something (the owner has a few days to try to move out of Denver). It really is like the holocost with people covering their pits in blankets and carrying them to the car to drive out of town to walk them. Not everyone has the economic means to move at the drop of the hat. So the short story is that the pits are killed.

Badrap is a great resource for finding out about pits, the breed etc. I will summarize a little here about what pits are, but I reccomend visiting their site and checking out the breed info and the monster myths section. Basically pit bulls are similar looking to the bull terrier, but they have a much shorter muzzle (bull terriers are often included in pit bull bans, by the way). They were originally bred to fight bulls. They would do this by grabbing onto their nose and not letting go. When bull baiting was outlawed some people started using them to fight each other. A very very important note here is that while pits may have been bred for fighting other dogs, the handlers were in the ring and had to be able to grab the dog during the match without getting bitten. Any dog that bit it's handler would not survive, so all this business about pits being bred to be mean to humans is a lie. In the like 1800s or so pits were often called babysitter dogs. They would basically watch over the children of the family and make sure no harm came to them. This is why the idea that they always attack kids is so wrong! In fact, you know that dog with the circle around it's eye in Little Rascals? That's a pit! Hellen Keller even had one! Anyway, pits have also given great service to our contry, with one pit (sorry don't remember the name or link, perhaps Sgt. Stubbs?) being a very decorated war hero!

Fast foward a little and currently pits are the dog of choice for "tough guys" in America. A lot of times they are prized for their imposing physique and trained as guard dogs. Dog fighting is still a big problem in the US and pits are the dog of choice. Pits forced to live in these conditions are horribly abused, most lacking basic vet care, being kept on heavy chains (to build up neck strength) all their life etc. etc. No wonder when these abused and mistreated animals who have been trained to attack get loose they cause some damage! That is why they are being banned. It is interesting to note that the "dangerous dog" changes almost from decade to decade. Previous "dangerous dog" breeds that had status similar to pits are German Shepards, Great Danes, Doberman Pinscers and Rotties.

A lot of people say that pits have locking jaws. This is not true. They just are very good at holding on, there is no locking mechanism.

I hope that helps! If you have further questions please ask them!

PS The breeds often lumped together with pit bulls are (and I'm sure I'll forget some): American Staffordshire Terriers, Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Bulldogs, Boxers and there are more, too, but just wanted to give you an idea.
[notify]
Tinkerbelle

I'm pretty!

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '05 2:10pm PST 
The province of Ontario, Canada banned pitbulls on August 29, 2005.

What does this mean for people who own pitbulls in Ontario?

- definition of pitbull : Pitbull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, American Pitbull terrier or any dog with SIMILAR physical characteristics to any of the above breeds.

Any dog fitting these characteristics must be leashed and muzzled at all times when in a public place. All pitbulls must also be spayed/neutered.

Any pitbull owned by an Ontario resident or born in the province within 90 days of August 29, 2005 is considered a legal grandfathered pitbull and must obey the restrictions above. Any puppies born after the 90 day period must either be EUTHANIZED or sent out of province.

If you are travelling with your pitbull through the province of Ontario, you are also subject to these laws and must keep him/her leashed and muzzled.

In the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms it states that a person is 'innocent until proven guilty'. In the case of pitbulls in Ontario, there is a reverse onus: 'guilty until proven innocent'. This means that if you and your dog are charged with any violation of the legislation, you are automatically considered guilty, which is a major threat to the rights of Canadian citizens.

The legislation also allows peace officers (police, animal control) to enter a person's house with or WITHOUT a warrant and use AS MUCH FORCE as necessary to seize a dog.

Essentially what this means: If you have cranky neighbours who make a complaint to animal control cause your mixed breed dog with a big head barks at them... animal control can come into your home while you're at work, seize and euthanize your dog... no questions asked, just because he/she is a pitbull, and therefore inherently vicious according to Ontario law.

Appalling? Yes.

There are many people fighting this law, but it is disturbing how many innocent dogs and people will suffer in the mean time.

For more information about BSL in Ontario:

http://www.localdogrescue.com/pitbull.htm

http://www. advocatesfortheunderdog.com/

http://www.bannedaid.com/

http:// www.doglegislationcouncilcanada.org/

Remember... It's not a pitbull problem, it's a PEOPLE problem. Punish the deed, not the breed. smile
[notify]

Monte

did you say bra- or car?

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '05 3:55pm PST 
i have tears in my eyes, how sick
my mothers chihuahua is probally more agressive than most pitts, even though that isnt the point, god they have no right
thanks for the information
im shocked
[notify]
Snowy

A Doggie Scholar

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '05 4:27pm PST 
Yes Monte, the whole deal with pitbulls is very sick indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if the breed ban has a deeper reflection of fundamental cultural flaws in America. Some people go as far as to suspect that pit bull ban actually has little to do with dogs, but more to do with racism and classism in America. It's stereotypically believed that a certain race of people or a certain class of people are attracted to owning pit bulls. Pit posession is only used as a means to "bother you" if you belong to that certain class or race, the same way that illegal drug posession has varying levels of legal prosecution with heavier punishment for "poor people drugs" and lighter punishment for "rich people drugs."
[notify]
Kitai

Chia Kitai!

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '05 5:50pm PST 
Another disturbing thing about this is also the fact that legislators focus on the pit bull to introduce breed specific legislation since there is plenty of public support, which I think is motivated mostly by fear, BUT, then other breeds are gradually added to the lists... This has been done in several other countries around the world.... It then becomes about "fighting" breeds or "large" breeds, even those that are seldom aggressive but because of their size have the potential to do serious harm.

I continue to make the analogy that banning a breed is like banning a particular model of car because it is involved in a high number of fatal car accidents.... Can you imagine if that ever happened? Sorry Mister Smith but because the model of car you drive was involved in the highest number of fatal accidents last year, you have two days to either sell your car or move out of state or we will come confiscate your car and destroy it. That's the law. Never mind that it was the careless reckless or drunk people behind the wheel who caused the accident.

Noooooo they had a better idea and decided that no one can own this model of car any longer... And that will make the roads safer? To me it's the same principle whether it is a car or a dog. Both can be dangerous in the hands of an irresponsible owner. Both have the potential to do serious and even fatal harm... So why does the law work so differently? Why have legislators all over the world decided that BSL is the right answer? I just don't get it.
[notify]
Nunzio- *passed over- the rainbo

Mouth

Barked: Sat Dec 10, '05 7:28pm PST 
My mom always gets upset when she hears bad things about pits. Espically because she is a real estate agent and people always seem to say to her "I dont want to be on a street that has pits" or people in the office will say "I went to this house and there was a pit there and I thought he was going to hurt me". She gets very upset but doesn't get into it because she gets very deffensive. Her and Dad are in the process of putting together a pitbull information and awarness group and hope to start a rescue when they can get a place with more room to run.
[notify]
Ivan

Big, Lovable,- Cuddly Ivie

Barked: Sat Dec 17, '05 1:09pm PST 
It bothers me to no end that there are actually people out there that support the ban in Ontario.

I live in Ontario, I don't even own Pits or IMO, anything that even looks remotely LIKE a Pit...yet I have been informed that my dogs need to be muzzled and on a metal leash with a metal choker when I take them for a walk? My dogs are about 20" and 150lbs bigger than the breed standard of a "Pit".

This is what people don't understand when they jump on the political band-wagon and ride it right in to ignoramousville. Forget the fact that I don't have a Pit Bull...my dogs are large and have a short coat. I now need to muzzle them...why...? Because the arces that supported (and still support) this ban could not point out a Pit Bull if their life depended on it!

I hope they one day own a short coated dog with a slightly stocky build...then they'll know what it's like to be descriminated against.

A few years ago, there was a horse killed by two dogs just outside of my town. It was plastered all over the front pages as "Two Pit Bulls Viciously Attack and Kill Mare" and the owner of the horse wanted the city to ban Pits then...turns out it was a Shepherd mix and a Lab mix that killed the horse. But that was published near the bottom in the back of the paper.

It's all about publicity and ratings for the media. Screw the little guy that gets the short end of the stick because they love a certain breed.
[notify]
Ember

Don't hate me- because I am- beautiful.

Barked: Sat Dec 17, '05 4:07pm PST 
Hi Monte - I can expand a little more on pits as well.
We are a wonderful breed who are great with people (including children). Unfortunately, we are one of the breeds most likely abused, neglected, and often blamed for any dog attack.
We are smart, not very good guard dogs, with big old hearts who just want to be loved. We love to give kisses, show off our toys, and cuddle under the covers when we get cold.
Yes, we are physically strong, but most of us think we are 10 lb. lap dogs. We are misunderstood, but the people who know us, love us.
True, we have become more of an urban breed,but my mommy is a white female in the suburbs, so not every owner of a pit can be classified as a drug dealer or dog fighter.
There is such doggie discrimination here in the States, and we are the unlucky breed who bears the brunt of it.
Remember, dogs are social animals, and pits are the same. Bad people make my brothers and sisters fighters. We would never choose to be hated and feared. The majority of us are some of the best dogs people have ever known.
God bless the pits and all creatures big and small!
[notify]
Sierra

I love to run in- circles.

Barked: Sun Dec 18, '05 2:49pm PST 
Let me add just a bit. Yes we are strong dogs, as are most dogs that are happy and healthy. I am 45 pounds of pure muscle and I play all day with my sister a 5 pound min-pin. I'm smart, she's small, so I play very softly, no muscle, no biting with her. I'm the most loving dog in all areas ,any people, any kids, and any other dogs. Ban the deed, not the breed!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4