GO!

I need help on how to start a petition.

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Sam-In- loving- memory

Sammy Sam

Barked: Thu Nov 3, '05 8:15am PST 
I'm so angry about the breed bans. I want to do something about it, I just don't know where to start. In my state (Ohio) They have dog laws that discriminate against pit bulls, I would like to start a petition requesting that the state change the vicious(sp?) dog laws to be based on the action of the dog, not its breed.How do I do that?
Second of all I would like examples of laws or legislation that I can present in my petition. Examples that include something to the effect of:
protecting a dog that was defending its home or the person attack was commiting a crime, and defends dogs that attack because of abuse or a potental threat was made to themselves. I would also like it to contain something about making stiffer penalties for people who fight dogs, are repeat offenders, and abuse laws.
It's a lot to ask I know, but any information would be great. Thank you
[notify]
Raskol

Paddle!- Paddle!- Splash!

Barked: Thu Nov 3, '05 2:02pm PST 
Sammy,

THANKS!!! for wanting to help. Here's Virginia's clause on what you asked about:

Virginia Law 3.1-796.93:1.:
Section C:2
2. No canine or canine crossbreed shall be found to be a potentially dangerous dog, dangerous dog, or vicious dog solely because it is a particular breed, nor shall the local governing body prohibit the ownership of a particular breed of canine or canine crossbreed. No animal shall be found to be a potentially dangerous dog, dangerous dog, or vicious dog if the threat, injury or damage was sustained by a person who was (i) committing, at the time, a crime upon the premises occupied by the animal's owner or custodian, (ii) committing, at the time, a willful trespass or other tort upon the premises occupied by the animal's owner or custodian, or (iii) provoking, tormenting, or physically abusing the animal, or can be shown to have repeatedly provoked, tormented, abused, or assaulted the animal at other times. No police dog that was engaged in the performance of its duties as such at the time of the acts complained of shall be found to be a potentially dangerous dog, dangerous dog, or a vicious dog. No animal that, at the time of the acts complained of, was responding to pain or injury, or was protecting itself, its kennel, its offspring, or its owner or owner's property, shall be found to be a potentially dangerous dog, dangerous dog, or a vicious dog.

Edited to add: Thank you even more after reading your bio. You are a kind spirit, little one.
[notify]
Sam-In- loving- memory

Sammy Sam

Barked: Sat Nov 5, '05 12:59am PST 
That is soooo perfect, thank you so much!!

Edit to add: I couldn't help but take a peek at your page, wow you are a beautiful pup, so was Tyger-he was born the same year my mommy was. That's a long time to live with such a loving person!
[notify]