GO!

Baby bit on the leg by a pit bull??

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Harley

Say it LOUD say- it PROUD... IM A- DOG!!:)

Barked: Sat Oct 29, '05 1:06pm PST 
I just heard in the news about a baby being bit on the leg by a pit bull. They didnt give much detail...but why would someone have a baby around a aggressive pit bull?? I mean any kind a breed could have done this...right???? Isnt it the owners fault??? Mommy is just really MAD at what the public is making pit bulls out of!!!!!! Once again pit bulls are sooooo cute i love the breedsmile I hate that they are shaped into mean horrible dogsfrown
[notify]
Jamie

Puppy Power!

Barked: Sat Oct 29, '05 1:33pm PST 
Well not all pit bulls are aggressive so maybe the owners didn't think it was aggressive. A link or some source for this article would REALLY help. Anyone leaving ANY aged child alone with ANY breed dog is just dumb. I'm sure the pit didn't bite out of aggression, maybe the baby was pulling on it or laying on it or kicking it or something???
[notify]
Sirius

High on- Happiness

Barked: Sun Oct 30, '05 3:13pm PST 
There is such a variety of reasons of "why" the dog could have bitten. The problem with the media is that we get no honest details so it can seem as if a savage Pit Bull jumped on a defenseless child. That may be the case, but I believe there is a LOT more involved then we are ever told. We humanize our dogs so much we forget that growling/biting is a way that they tell us to leave us be, or that dogs sometimes do not recognize baby's as being tiny human's, and dogs with a high prey drive should never be around a baby ESPECIALLY unsupervised. It really comes from people not paying attention to body language and the comfort level of their dogs. This leads to horrible situations that just end up these days punishing an entire breed. Poor baby, poor responsible Pit owners that try so hard to lead by a good example but the problem is that even though most Pits you meet are sweet and kind people pay closer attention to the bad ones and the bad stuff is what is remembered. Grrrrr.
[notify]

♥- Dutchess

love me, pet me,- don't ban me!

Barked: Sun Oct 30, '05 5:34pm PST 
the dog may have not even been a pitbull. there have been several pitbull bite reports on the news that havent been pitbulls, they were other dog breeds.
[notify]
Sam-In- loving- memory

Sammy Sam

Barked: Thu Nov 3, '05 8:03am PST 
That just makes me angry, irresponcible owners if you ask me. I've only had small dogs since I left home (and everyone I knew started making babies). I still wouldn't leave a baby unsupervised with my dogs. They weren't mean or bite, but I just don't think its safe. I will NEVER leave my twin nieces alone with any animal and they're 5yrs old now. I don't trust my nieces, they are hell on 2 legs, and wouldn't blame a dog for biting them. They are mean spirited and have been known to pull ears, tails and fur, stick their faces in animals faces, and generally be mean. It would be unforgivable if I left them unsupervised with any dog.
As much as I want to hate bullies, I just can't. I'll always blame the owner for a mean dog, rather than blame the dog itself.
[notify]
MacKenzie (REST IN PEACE)

Now cat- friendly.

Barked: Thu Nov 3, '05 7:10pm PST 
Yesterday a little boy was bit by pit bulls in Colorado. His family was just keeping them for people who had to get them out of Denver.

attack

I'm not surprised dogs forced to leave their owners and were probably stressed out bit.
[notify]
Chyno

Stop The- Madness, Stop- BSL!

Barked: Fri Nov 4, '05 9:26am PST 
I am a pittbull and I am sooo very sweet when it comes to humans, but not so sweet w/other animals. Anyway my mommy says that it is definitley the owners fault most of the time and she to hates the way the public has made pittbulls seem bad. A mojority of the owners of us like to get us and use us as fighting dogs, or guard dogs so they leave us tied up outside and make us mean. Then they wonder why we attack. But if we are treated with love and care we generally turn out to be pretty great companions to the whole family. My mommy also says that it depends on the childhood of the dog. Her mom had a pittbull that was abused when she got him. He was 4 mths old and was so scared. By the time he was two years old he was very aggressive even though she didnt raise him like that. He hated everything and anybody except his mom. So there are many different reasons as to what triggers a pit, but 99 percent of the time it starts with the humans who mold them.
[notify]