GO!

I Need Advice!

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Jamie

Puppy Power!

Barked: Sat Oct 29, '05 11:12am PST 
Oh Gwen don't feel bad about stereotyping -- even in your original post you said there were of course exceptions, so don't feel bad! I am under 21 (well I will be 21 in April!) and I AGREE with you that most kids under this age are NOT responsible enough to care for themselves much less another living animal. As you said though OF COURSE there are always exceptions. smile

I hope he calls you back quickly and you get this matter sorted out ASAP! That poor pup does NOT deserve to spend its life in a small cage in the dark of a closet!!!!!
[notify]
Sirius

High on- Happiness

Barked: Sat Oct 29, '05 11:53am PST 
Yea, don't feel bad about the age thing. I was 18 when I purchased my first dog from a breeder. I used my graduation money. ha ha. Now people thought I was nuts but I knew that I would do everything in my power to care for my dog. I think that it's sommething that is either in you or not. Most of us on dogster are a little doggie obsessed and it's not a bad thing but I don't think we are the norm, so it's easier to point out the irrisponsible people who are young and care-free and put themselves before the pet they purchased or obtained. I don't really see that here though. That poor bulldog. Breaks my heart. Me and Sirius are praying to a happy loving home where he can be fully enjoyed as a member of a nice family some day soon!
[notify]
~Bear~

rescue a- bully....woof,- woof :-)

Barked: Sat Oct 29, '05 5:12pm PST 
I was thinking...If your sister is really interested in this dog maybe they could hold him for her until she moves (I think you said one and a half months??). Or maybe the dog owner would be willing to give her the dog when she moves if animal control doesn't seize it.. Just a thought.
[notify]

Gwenevere - *In Loving- Memory*

BOOTS Chasers- Inc.

Barked: Sat Oct 29, '05 10:20pm PST 
See, that's why my sister is confused as to what to do. She called the humane officer, and he hasn't returned her call yet. She's just worried that nothing will be done about it, this girl will be really angry after being turned in, and she won't be able to talk her into handing the dog over to her if he isn't taken away. The owner's roommate works at a bar downtown, she was thinking of going to the bar and talking to her about the dog(and maybe have this roommate talk the owner into handing the dog over to my sister/animal control/ or Bulldog Rescue. She knows that the shelters are already overloaded, so she'd hate for that to happen. Also, this poor dog is easily frightened. I know my sister could give this dog a better life-much better-but she is student teaching in Pittsburgh from January-April, is probably going to live at home with me during this time (Ah whatever!), be volunteering with the shelter, working another job and just having graduated will be struggling with a job search/paying off school loans/paying for a car. I can just imagine my mom's face if my sister brings home a 100 lb Bulldoggie! LOL
We'll see what happens, thanks for your input Bear! smile All my sister knows, is that she is NOT leaving this place w/o this doggie being in a safe place where he will be loved and properly cared for.

GBD
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Sat Oct 29, '05 10:30pm PST 
I would keep calling animal control. Sometimes you need to keep on them, they are so busy, your call may have gotten lost in the shuffle.

If your sis is a bit busy to take him on herself (don't want to spread yourself too thin), she might want to look at bulldog rescue or an all breed rescue or even a bully dog rescue. They would work on socializing the dog and training as well before he would be adopted out. Probably put him in a foster home, with loving people.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
[notify]

BOOTS Chasers- Inc.

Barked: Sat Oct 29, '05 10:52pm PST 
Thanks for the response! Yeah, I'm going to call every day this week until I reach him. On the answering machine, it said that the office was open mon-fri, so maybe it won't be until mon. when he calls. I wouldn't mind spending the money on the dog at all, it's just that I don't think that it's very responsible for me to impose on my parents like that. Also, this dog is NOT trained at all. He would require alot of extra attention. Unfortunately, foster homes are VERY difficult to find. We'll see what happens...

Gwenie's Sister
[notify]
Puck Robin- Dogfellow

If It's All- Good, It's All- Mine!

Barked: Mon Oct 31, '05 9:14am PST 
Hi;

If all other options fail, have you considered "donating" an appropriately-sized crate to the dog's human and offering to pup-sit or walk occasionally, so that even if there is no legal option to remove this dog from its person, the dog would at least be comfortable? It seems like humane officers and the entities they work for are so overworked and understaffed, that they only step in in the most dire of circumstances. Personally, we think that being locked in a too-small crate in a dark closet IS dire circumstances, but who knows about the laws in your area?

Anyway, we wish you the very best of luck getting some positive action accomplished for this poor dog--he deserves better than he's getting, for sure!
[notify]

BOOTS Chasers- Inc.

Barked: Mon Oct 31, '05 12:54pm PST 
Thanks for the advice fellow Shakespeare buff! Have you seen the video version of Much Ado About Nothing with Keanu Reeves?? LOL

Anyway, those are great ideas - they would work if I was staying in the area, but I am moving back to Pittsburgh for good to teach in December. I actually bought this XL harness, kong, and dog treats for him the day after I met him(his owner is using a thin choke chain and he throws around his weight(100 lbs) I 'm afraid that he'll break his neck or choke and pass out(I've had this experience with a dog before-very scary-I HATE choke chains-people do not use them properly(they are for training). I've also lost contact with the roommate of this girl(the way that I met the dog). I had planned to go back and help care for him, she said that I could come by when I wanted. BUT I CANNOT walk him, he weighs as much or more than me, he has had no training, I fear that I would lose him or he'd run into traffic.

I understand that crating is necessary sometimes, but not for hours on end. I don't think that a larger crate would help in this situation-this irresponsible girl(I do NOT consider her an adult at all) needs to learn how to care for this animal-or lose him. She also cannot afford to feed him-the roommate said that her PARENTS pay for his food, and he is NOT neutered either(which leads to a number of problems in itself) I do not think that she has an interest in this dog-besides his being a play thing when she is not off drinking etc. He is a living thing-a responsibility-that depends on her as a child does a parent. I think that it is necessary for a humane worker to be involved because she needs to realize the seriousness of the situation, and the owner needs to sign him over if he is to be rehomed. I have a friend who took in a beagle because the father did not want the pet any longer. The parents were fighting over having the pet, and he was taken back a number of times, breaking my friend's heart because he was not signed over in the first place. I wish things weren't so complicated! Ugh! I'll keep you updated. Thank you for the response Puck, no transforming anydoggie's head into an ass for Halloween! LOL

GBD and her sister
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2