GO!

Looking for HOA help...

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

P-nut

End Breed- Discrimination!

Barked: Wed Oct 19, '05 4:50pm PST 
Does anyone out there have experience with dealing with a Home Owners Association that wants to ban bully breeds? I need to help someone and write a letter and - all ideas are welcomed!

Thanks, P-nut
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Wed Oct 19, '05 8:36pm PST 
P-nut, I 'm so sorry to hear your HOA wants to do that. How horrible. I don't know what you could do. How many dogs would be targeted?

Individually, if you have any special awards or certification, it might help. I saw on your page it looks like you show? That might put you in a good light. Also if you've passed your CGC test, that will look good too.

I hope someone else reads this and can help a little more. I don't know much about HOA and how they work. Perhaps a petition?
[notify]
Jake

do I look like a- freakin people- person

Barked: Wed Oct 19, '05 11:17pm PST 
I also don't have experience -we can't live in an HOA due to the number of animals we have.
But I wanted to lend my support.
Can they change the rules after you've moved in? Isn't it like a lease that they can't make the new rules apply. I know it sounds stupid.
You could maybe talk to them about your dog and their history.
Good luck.
[notify]

P-nut

End Breed- Discrimination!

Barked: Thu Oct 20, '05 9:54am PST 
Thanks for your support...but it's not my HOA. I am trying to help another Staffy owner. Where she lives they are trying to amend the current bylaws by banning certain breeds. I wanted help her by writing an informative letter pointing out that they are not a legislative body and have no lawful right to make this rule - especially after the fact. Also, I am hoping to write some speaking points for her to make- like no incident has occurred in the hood, her dog is indoors and well behaved, etc... i was just wondering if anyone else has come up with this b4 and had some ideas. My dog has her CGC so I asked this person if hers did or if she culd go get tested.... BSL is awful and it seems to be spreading like an epidemic from fear and ignorance - not fact based. The media is responsible for much of this and some people believe everything they see or hear!
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Thu Oct 20, '05 11:28am PST 
Well, good luck to you and your friend. I hope things work out.

Is there a reason they want to do this ban? If there have been no incidents, why the sudden change? Have there been complaints about some of the dogs? I would think it would be better to get rid of the owner than the dog, if there are some that have issues.
[notify]
Brighton

Support- rescue/spay &- neuter!

Barked: Thu Oct 20, '05 12:02pm PST 
I can tell you from experience (not pertaining to animals, however) that HOA's can modify the deed restrictions...depending upon the original verbiage. Got severely burned by a condo association, who is allowed to change the bylaws depending upon their mood. Fortunately, it's a rental property and I don't live in it...otherwise I'd have to move.

Good luck with this!
[notify]
Raskol

Paddle!- Paddle!- Splash!

Barked: Thu Oct 20, '05 12:48pm PST 
P-Nut. I haven't experienced this so I can't advise you BUT, there is a list serve of pittie owners

http://www.pbrc.net/pitbull-l/pitbull-l3.html

There's not much these fine pittie owners haven't dealt with. You might want to have your friend sign up and ask them.
[notify]
Raskol

Paddle!- Paddle!- Splash!

Barked: Thu Oct 20, '05 12:51pm PST 
Oh and BTW - You're so pretty. I think I'm in love. I left you a dozen or so bones.
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Thu Oct 20, '05 1:04pm PST 
How about going to the local TV station and trying to get them to highlight this in a story?
[notify]