GO!

nasodigital hyperkeratosis (a.k.a. crusty nose)

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Amelie

Lady Amelie,- Boxer Nobility

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '05 5:24pm PST 
When I took Aggie in last month she had a hard crusty ridge along the top of her nose (you can sort of see it on my photo if you look closely). We just figured it was because of dehydration (she was a stray) and the vet mentioned malnutrition as a possible cause.

After putting neosporin on it every day for a week the ridge flaked off. Since that point, though, it hasn't gotten any better and it usually looks dry and cracked. I put bag balm on it almost everyday, but it concerns me that it hasn't improved.

So, I looked up crusty noses online and came across "nasodigital hyperkeratosis" or nose calluses, which have no cure.

Does anyone have any sort of experience with this? Any advice on treatment? Thanks!
[notify]
Three Little- Sisters

The 'angel'- period was- short-lived-----

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '05 7:59pm PST 
Seeing as how Aggie is a stray and you don't know her history, I'm wondering--distemper in puppyhood can cause hard pad disease, and also a similiar condition on the nose later in life. Your thoughts?
[notify]
Amelie

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '05 8:02pm PST 
i hadn't thought of that! is distemper a lifelong disease? is there a way to determine if a dog had it as a puppy? i don't know much about it so i'll have to read up on it.
thanks for the suggestion.
[notify]

Three Little- Sisters

The 'angel'- period was- short-lived-----

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '05 8:06pm PST 
Distemper is one of the diseases that pups are vaccinated against. Maybe your pal wasn't vaxed, and sometimes even with the vax or from the vax, dogs will get disptemper. She would be over the disease if she had it, but distemper can cause some longterm conditions, including having seizures down the road. There is no way to tell if she had distemper or not. Let us know what you find out on distemper--I've forgotten so much about it already---
[notify]
Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '05 9:08pm PST 
Boxers are prone to getting these on their noses. They don't hurt and don't bother them, they just look kinda strange. There is a 8 yr old boxer at the park that has a really big ridge on his nose. I had no clue what it was at first, and was told it's a "boxer thing". Since then I've seen other older boxers with the same condition. It usually starts showing up as they get older, probably around 5-6 yrs. or so. (I say older b/c life expectancy for boxers is 8-10 yrs, according to books (I don't usually go by books b/c they are living much longer these days) although another boxer at the park made it to 14).
[notify]
Chyna

It really is all- about ME!

Barked: Fri Sep 16, '05 9:39pm PST 
I am not in any way trying to alarm you, but my neighbors Pug has that crusty nose syndrome and her Vet told her it was a form of cancer. Her dogs nose is actually gradually falling off in pieces. I also knew a Lab that had the same thing. Last time I saw him, his nose was mostly gone. Have you talked to your Vet about it? It could be totally nothing but I'd have it checked.
[notify]
Leo

Just call me- spoiled

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '05 7:47pm PST 
We had a Ccocker S paniel named Bailey he passed away bless his little soul. He had the same crusty nose problem but yet his brother Webster didn't. All you can do is keep it moist with neo. Every day wash it first and get the old ucky stuff off then add the neo.
[notify]
Amelie

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '05 7:45am PST 
Wow! I was away for the weekend and missed all this good advice.

Chyna, that nose cancer sounds horrible and I am definitely going to ask the vet about that...

I am also relieved to hear that other people have dealt with this issue and that it is not painful for the dog. We are headed to the vet this afternoon, so I'll give you an update then!

Edited by author Sun Feb 26, '12 10:01pm PST

[notify]
Macy

Drama Queen

Barked: Tue Sep 27, '05 3:44pm PST 
I have a dry nose too - you can tell from some of the photos on my page. The vet told my mom that I have that nasodigital hyperkeratosis thing, and that its nothing to worry about. Just keep doing what you're doing - bag balm works wonders for my nose - but mom has to put it on there every second day or so.
[notify]
Miss Lucy Lane

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '07 10:41am PST 
I have this problem as well. My mommy was getting quite concerned about it. But now I know everything is alright and its not a big issue. Thank you guys!!
[notify]
(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2