Close X
GO!

My dog had a stroke - looking for some hope

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Asha

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '17 7:05pm PST 
Hi.

My 13 year old Staffy x Ridgeback suffered a stroke last week. She's doing pretty considering - she's a bit wobbly on her legs and not great at turning left, but she can walk, take herself out to the toilet and her appetite, whilst not what it once was, is ok.

The thing that I'm really concerned about is that she whines a lot, mostly when she's laying down in her bed. She appears to get agitated and stressed and her breathing rate increases.

The vet has given us some anti-nausea and pain meds that also have a sedative side-effect, but once they wear off (usually after five or six hours) she starts whining and stressing again.

I don't think she's in any physical pain but confused? Does anyone have thoughts of what this could be?
[notify]
Dea

I'm a Smarty- Pants! :)

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '17 5:15am PST 
I'm sorry your pup had a stroke.
I'm sure it's pretty similar to a human. So, she probably knows she's not well and limited in what she can & can't do. Have you tried asking the vet about what things can be done to try and rehabilitate her? I mean, if she was human, he would be getting some kind of services to help in recovery. I'm sure there are things you can do, like maybe physical therapy to help with the wobblyness. I hope she recovers. Good Luck! Maybe someone else will pop in with a suggestion.
[notify]
Asha

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '17 12:08am PST 
Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, we had to let her take the Big Sleep after an MRI revealed that the stroke was caused by aggressive brain cancer.
[notify]

Savannah aka- Banners!

Banners on the- Run! NOT!

Barked: Wed Jan 11, '17 9:50am PST 
confusedcry I'm sorry for your loss.
[notify]
Dea

I'm a Smarty- Pants! :)

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '17 12:18pm PST 
I'm so sorry.........hughug
[notify]