GO!

red yeast infection on paws/nails

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Nala

Queen of the- Couch

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '15 5:19am PST 
Hi all. Nala has a yeast infection on her paws and nails. Dark red between the toes, smelly, and she started to get a dark red ring around the base of all her nails. I did research, called the vet, and got a refill of Entederm ointment that I have been putting on her as well as bathing her with hexadine shampoo. Between the toes look better, but I'm curious about the nails. Should they clear up if they are getting better or will that red have to grow out with the nail? I don't know if I need to see the vet for an oral antifungal if the nails are still red... Anyone have experience with this? Vet isn't in yesterday or today, sop I'm waiting for a call back.
[notify]
Reina

I'm so pretty, I- can't stand- myself.....

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '15 10:49am PST 
I don't know if it's the same but Reina had a yeast infection in her ears. Her ears cleared up in 8 days with the Meds. It didn't seem like it was working at first, then suddenly they started getting better. Hope that helps.
[notify]
Nala

Queen of the- Couch

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '15 11:09am PST 
Thanks. I guess what I'm trying to determine is, if I don't see any improvement specifically in the nails, does that mean I need to move to the next level with an oral medication. Right now I'm just using an ointment. The skin has cleared up, it's just the nails that I'm concerned about. But I'm wondering would I see any improvement in the nails anyway, or will the discoloration stay there until that section of nail grows out anyway?
[notify]

Reina

I'm so pretty, I- can't stand- myself.....

Barked: Thu Jun 25, '15 4:04am PST 
I would ask your vet that question. I've never had any experience with yeast infection in the nails.
[notify]
Toto, CD,- RN, CGC

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 25, '15 8:28am PST 
Normally yeast infections in the feet most often originate from food allergies. They are often accompanied by yeast problems in the ears as well.
In addition to the treatments being used now I would seriously consider a change of diet to one of the limited ingredient foods. Usually the problem is a protein that the dog has been eating for some time, for example chicken is quite often the issue for dogs that eat a chicken based kibble. Corn also often seems to be responsible for a number of yeast issues in dogs, especially in light colored dogs.
With the diet change it will take at LEAST 6 weeks for resolution of the issues, and you must be certain to not mess up the diet by giving even one or two dog biscuits, or a different wet food, or the like. Pick a diet and stick to it for the whole six weeks... we like to use the duck and sweet potatoe as very few dogs have grown up eating a diet of duck and/or sweet potatoe. Make sure you read ALL food and treat labels (especially) as chicken fat is often used in diets labeled beef or the like.
And, the red stained nails normally need to grow out to get rid of the red staining.
[notify]
Nala

Queen of the- Couch

Barked: Fri Jun 26, '15 11:42am PST 
She doesn't have any problems in the ears. She has seasonal allergies and every summer her feet get bad, this is just the first time I've seen the red nails happen. She eats a grain-free salmon kibble. I tried to change up her protein source before with no luck. She hesitates to eat anything that isn't the salmon.
[notify]
Nico

The Porcelain- Prince

Barked: Tue Jul 7, '15 11:29am PST 
Nico gets red feet in the spring/summer, too. Might be an allergy to grass, maybe? Not sure...but they don't seem to itch or bother him, they just get a little discolored. I try to get his feet as dry as possible when he comes inside and I use a ACV/peroxide soak occasionally, but I figure if its not bothering him, I'm not going to stress over it.
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Thu Jun 30, '16 6:13pm PST 
I agree t o the allergy as a source causef or the yeast infection
[notify]