GO!

Frequent Urination Question

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Fri Aug 22, '14 12:31pm PST 
Hi. I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem. I have a 5 1/2 year old pit/GSD mix, otherwise healthy. Over the past several weeks he has started getting me up several times a night asking to let him out to pee. He is very demanding about it - he will sit in front of me until I get up and let him out. However, he has had no accidents in the house and his daytime urination activity seems about the same but that may be just my perception (i.e., maybe I let him out enough that he doesn't need to ask for more).

We have been to the vet several times, had two urinalyses done, both of which came back fine. I've spoken to three different vets, all of whom say that if the urinalysis was good and the urine was not dilute, there is no need for a culture. We did two different sets of blood work, all perfect as well. I'm completely mystified as it's my understanding that if this was an infection, or one of the other possible causes -- Cushings or Diabetes -- he would have had some indication in his blood work or something show up in the urinalysis. Can anyone help me figure out what might be going on. There's clearly something going on here as this is a very sudden change of behavior and he is not drinking more water, but before I spend more money at the vet (and I've spent hundreds already), I'd like to go back with some idea what we should be looking for. Thank you very much for the help.
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Fri Sep 19, '14 6:58pm PST 
I'd get blood work. I'd test kidney values and diabetes to start. Actually, it might be less expensive to run a senior panel. That tests everything. At my vet its $88.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Sep 21, '14 1:30pm PST 
I agree with Harley. Please keep us posted.
[notify]