GO!

Not eating

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Shadow

Lets GO

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 11:22am PST 
Shadow is still not eating. Weighed her at the clinic yesterday and she is down to 56 lbs. Three months ago she was 64. I stopped coaxing her to eat and decided to let her work it out and this is the result. She is leggy and lean to start with, that's just how she's built. She has no (new) health concerns, and she is still her normal nutty self. The only changes are the constant whining and the picking at her food.

How much more weight should I let her lose?

Do I just leave her sort it out?

I have had 'stress fasters' before but it's been a month and nothing is changing. She was always a picky eater and 2-3 days off her food isn't unusual for her. But an 8 lb weight loss seems excessive to me. The vet wants her weighed again next week, but she basically said do whatever I need to do to make her eat at this point. However others are telling me that will just make her worse, which was my thought initially, but now I'm not so sure.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 1:38pm PST 
No advice, just hughughug
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 2:42pm PST 
Eat now, worry about being picky later when she isn't grieving. I would do what it takes to get her to eat. She has too much going on to put her into an eat or die choice right now, she might just choose to die. hug
[notify]

Shadow

Lets GO

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 3:24pm PST 
Bunny,hug

Fritz, that's kind of where I am at. I know this is beyond 'give me something else'. She is seriously sad and confused. I am one of those people who does not give in to doggy blackmail, normally, but I knew she needed more then that and I foolishly listened to people telling me to stop spoiling her. Now I have a dog who is literally starving herself, and not drinking much either. The vet was honestly startled and worried at the rapid weight loss. So for now I guess I will just do whatever I can to make her eat.

I have low sodium chicken broth that I give her, will that help get her fluids up as well?
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 5:30pm PST 
hug hug hug hug

Edited by author Sun Nov 10, '13 5:31pm PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 5:36pm PST 
can dogs have pedialyte? or

http://www.justanswer.com/pet-dog/1oxh8-give-ensure-vitamin-co mplete-supplement-drink-dog.html

answered my own question

http://canigivemydog.com/pedialyte

just some thoughts thrown out therehug

Edited by author Sun Nov 10, '13 5:40pm PST

[notify]
Dante

You know i'm- cute, pet me!

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 6:25pm PST 
No actual personal experience with it but I know alot of people (with rescues generally) swear by the satin balls recipes. I was going to try them on Dante when he wasn't eating but he was just a weird eater, not grieving. Maybe use those to get her weight back up? Hope she feels better soon hughug
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 6:50pm PST 
It's been three weeks since Tanuk passed away and Talah is in the same boat. She picks at her food where before she ate with gusto. She also tends to carry around her lovey and just pace and whine.

For Talah, she is teeny so losing weight would be very scary. I gave in and have been giving her all kinds of wet food to cover moisture and food needs. I've brought her into the bedroom to sleep in a crate by my side of the bed. I've also taken the opportunity to do a lot of classes and training with her to keep her busy and hopefully keep up an appetite. I have not however coddled her or spoken about Tanuk in her presence. I thoroughly cleaned every surface he ever touched and donated all of his things, this way at least his scent is not fresh and reminding her constantly. I kept his lovey however, and it stays in her bed.

I wouldn't rely on broth because of the high sodium content, especially since she's not drinking much at the moment, that could put a huge strain on her kidneys.

I know she has some special behavioral needs, but are there any classes or activities you could do with her to boost her confidence and keep her more occupied? Nose work comes to mind. Would it be possible to feed her with your other dog or another pet around? I've found that nothing picks up an appetite like competition. As for what to feed, would she accept some kind of really stinky wet food or maybe even a raw meaty bone?

I hope some of that might help a bit. hug
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 7:17pm PST 
Bumping to drown spambots
[notify]
Shadow

Lets GO

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 7:33pm PST 
Tanuk, hughug I'm so sorry.

That is exactly what Shadow is doing, she carries her stuffy around whining.

I have been coaxing her to eat by adding treats and gravy to her meals. If I don't she just puts her tail over her face and goes to sleep. If I take her away from the house she just wants to go home and when we get back she goes straight to her crate. She barely even plays Frisbee now.
Her and Bud are not getting along, twice Buddy has tried to attack her. Whatever truce they had going on apparently is over.
I scatter chicken through the yard and that occupies her for a bit and gets some food into her.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3