GO!

Going crazy trying to find out what's wrong with my poor dog :(

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Blue

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 1:58pm PST 
Hi...I'm new here and just learning how to navigate this site. In fact, I've written this pretty lengthy post several times, only to have it not post. For some reason or another.

Anyway, I have a 4yr old Blue Merle Great Dane. He has not been doing well for over 5 weeks. I will start at the beginning.

He had a restless night where he kept coming to me as if he was trying to tell me something. Panting, pacing, and acting like he needed something, even though he was fed and walked and had water. The next morning he appeared to be feeling better. I took him out to potty in my front yard where the lawn mower service had just shortly before that came through and cut the grass. He sniffed the grass and started to have a fit of reverse sneezing, his nose running watery discharge like a faucet. I stroked his throat and it eventually slowed down...and then stopped. A little while later I found him in his crate...which he rarely uses unless he doesn't feel well or is afraid of getting his nails clipped or something. He was laying down with his neck extended, nose facing upward, his eyes were sunken in, his third lid was almost all the way up, and his head and neck were constricted so tight I couldn't pinch any skin at all on the top of his head. I rushed him to the vet.

At the vets she said she wasn't sure what it is but he could have hurt his neck during the reverse sneezing fit. So she treated him conservatively with vetprofen for inflammation and a pain killer. After several days he finished his meds. A few days later, he showed the same episode he had in the crate that first day. I took a picture of him during it because things don't always present themselves when we are there.

So back to the vet we went. When I showed her the picture she said that it looked like tetanus, even though it is rare in dogs. Considering he had a small cut on his tail right around the time all this started, it made sense. She sent us home with a strong cocktail of antibiotics and changed his anti inflammatory med to p r e d n i s o n e...30 mg twice a day. He seemed a little better. After 10 days on the antibiotic, again we tried lowering his anti inflammatory med. A few days later he started with the episodes again...more often and of longer duration. He even had a few of them at the vets office.

At this point the vet no longer thought it may be tetanus because the antibiotics should have made him, at least, a little better.

She is now considering Masculatory/Extraocular Myosites. It is an auto immune disease that effects the muscles in the head, eyes, and jaw. His jaw hasn't tightened but he does do some odd things with his mouth that are out of character. So along with the p r e d n i s o n e she put him on Azatheoprine, an auto immune medication. Again, he seems a little better, but not great. He is still lethargic and definitely not himself. In a few days he will be on the new med for a week. Again the vet wants me to lower the p r e d n i s o n e to once a day and see if he still has the episodes. I am so scared that this, also, won't work. I have researched my eyes out of their sockets and I'm running out of ideas. I don't know why he was in stress the night before the sniffing thing. If he sniffed bacteria into his system, the antibiotics should have taken care of that. If was viral, it should have ran its course before now. The lawn mower people mow other areas besides out neighborhood. I'm wondering if maybe they mowed in a cow pasture or near a swamp (I live in Florida) and some kind of fungi or parasite fell off the blades and he sniffed it in. But then why aren't any of the other dogs in the neighborhood getting sick...and why was he having issues the night before?

So, as you can tell, I'm grasping at straws here. My vet and I researching like crazy trying to get to the bottom of this. Blue is sick of being sick and I'm sick of seeing him this way. Any ideas, suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. I hope in a few day when I lower the p r e d n i s o n e, he won't have any episodes..and them we may be on the right track...but I'm grasping at straws and would like to have some idea where to go from here if it turns out not to be autoimmune. Thank you in advance for any input you may have.
[notify]
Wiggles BN

wiggles is my- name ,digging is- my game

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 2:27pm PST 
I have no idea what it could be for sure but have you had him tested for Lymes disease??

My friend has a dog who woke up one day with half his face paralyzed, he could not move half his mouth (he would actually bite that lip because he could not get it out of the way), his eye was droopy and he could not blink his one eye. The vet tried just about everything, meds, therapies, etc. After 6 months a vet finally tested him for Lymes disease and it was positive, they treated it and he went back to normal. Lymes does not always present with limping, it can present with many other symptoms.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 2:46pm PST 
Years ago I had a Frenchie with the same described symptoms. We treated everything we could think of, even doing some muscle biopsies and came up with nothing.
Ultimately it got so bad she could not move her head so we reluctantly euthanized her. I insisted on an autopsy and it turned out she had a tumor of her thymus gland and it was pressing on the nerves for her neck and head. No way we EVER could have found that without MRI's or CAT scans, neither of which were available for dogs back then!
Hopefully, this isn't your dog's issue, but perhaps now that we have MRI's available to dogs it might be worth a look????
[notify]

Tucker

Earned my wings- Jan. 22nd

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 4:00pm PST 
If you're thinking along the lines of autoimmune, this is a great site to get all kinds of information regarding the different types of autoimmune disease.
http://cimda.co.uk/smf/
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 7:04am PST 
hmmm is your vet able to consult with a neurologist or perhaps refer you to one. I would want to rule out anything neurological or anything auto immune. I honestly have not heard of this before.

I'm hoping they figure it out soon. It might help to consult with a special doctor on this thinking

NOTE: dogster won't let us type out the word s p e c i a l i s t. It has to do with the spam filters. I sure wish they would fix that confused anyway that's what i wanted to say instead of special doctor
[notify]
Blue

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 8:15am PST 
Hi...I thank all of you for your responses. Every bit of information helps. We lower the p r e d n I s o n e on Tuesday. It will take a few days for it to level out to the lower dose. If the episodes come back, I believe my vet will probably refer me to a neurologist. His lid sometimes now comes in a little from the inside corner of his eyes, but no real episodes...and it is very dark. Not sure if that means anything. He also does a chomping thing with his mouth...more often when he is watching me prepare his food...almost like he's getting his jaws ready to eat. But sometimes he does it for no apparent reason. He also is doing a weird thing with his tongue. It's hard to explain. He moves his mouth, kind of like the chomping but no teeth involved, like he's trying to bring his tongue out and when it comes out he slides it back in with his mouth nearly closed. I know, it sounds nuts but its the only way I can explain it. I think I will video it to show the vet. This is all so strange. Everything I research never fits his symptoms exactly. T here's always something that throws it off. I imagine the p r e d n I s o n e may be masking some symptoms as well. Hopefully we will be able to gradually lower him off that stuff. I hate putting it into my dogs body. We will see this week when we lower it...fingers crossed. Yes...I understand your problem with the word s p e c i a l i s t problem. I had the same problem with p r e d n I s o n e. I am open to any and all ideas, no matter how far fetched......it seems this whole thing is far fetched. Thanks again
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 10:54am PST 
oh really? it won't let you type p r e d i s o n e. Grrrr...frustrating...

A video would be a great idea. There are things that neurologist can diagnose pretty quickly that a vet can't. I hope your vet can figure it out though as it's easier on the pocketbook that's for sure.

Good luck to you...he's a cutie for sure big grincloud 9
[notify]
Blue

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 12:27pm PST 
Just took Blue for a golf cart ride. He loves the golf cart and it was good to see him happy smile and we ran into his sister who lives down the street. He was happy seeing her too smile helps to look at her and make comparisons. He sure is losing muscle mass..I think from the p r e d n I s o n e. His head looks so boney like a dinosaur next to hers. Well...one day at a time...praying once the pred is lowered the episodes don't return....guess ill cross that bridge in a few days :/
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 5:59am PST 
I hope it works too. What's odd is it's weight gain that is associated with
p r e d i s o n e, not weight loss. If he's losing weight, it wouldn't be because of the pred thinking
[notify]
Blue

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 7:44am PST 
Blue was losing weight before this. I noticed it when I went to the vet for the first symptom. The follow up, he lost more weight. Once on the p r e d n I s o n e he has gained most of it back. His head looks bony because he has lost muscle mass there. Today is the first day we are lowering his p r e d so I have to watch to see if the episodes come back. Thank you for your input....I appreciate all input as we try to figure this out.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7