GO!

anybody else having a horrendous time with skin issues?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 7:02am PST 
You probably have the same Benadryl but just incase its the normal 'allergy relief' one.
[notify]
Kiera, HIAdsc

Ducks Beware

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 7:05am PST 
I haven’t paid for the food yet. I can still call and tell them I don’t want it. I guess I can try doing baths once every 4 months, but that seems like a long time in betweens baths! What food would you recommended? Would canned be better than dry?
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 7:18am PST 
Hunter.....just looking at what you said again....be careful with the fish oils also, as although they can make the skin lovely on some dogs, on others they can actually make it worse (as it did with one of mine) its all trial and error, change one thing at a time so you know if its had an effect. And as little ingredients & additives as possible.
[notify]

Fernanda

All things- edible are mine!

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 7:20am PST 
Can you give Benadryl to a 4 month old puppy?shrug
[notify]
Manuel

Kiss Me!

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 7:26am PST 
BamBam - Have you considered feeding a high quality dog food (Fromm, Dogswell, Merrick, Royal Canin, Eukanuba)? I bathe my dogs once a month and I recommend doing so for all dogs. A humidifier can really help skin problem in dry areas. You can also rub your dog down with liquid aloe vera. There are also spray moisturizers available at most pet stores that can help with itching and keep the skin very soft and supple.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 7:29am PST 
3 baths a year is plenty (unless they get filthy.
Tinned Chappie is great for dogs that cant cope with kibble just add bran/ carrots for extra fibre.
(i have one dog on Chappie & one on James Wellbeloved kibble, as its finding whats best for the individual dog thats important)
Just provide raw bones (not cooked) once a week for their teeth (you can get them from online raw feed sites).
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 7:38am PST 
Kiera...dont stop the baths and change the food at the same time as you wont know whats worked. I would recommend staying on the food while you stop the bathing, you are bathing your dog far too much, this will be drying the skin out, which can make it flaky (dandruff) try just not bathing him for 3 months and see if you notice any change, if not then try the food.
Sprays are ok for short term relief but do not solve the problem, its a bit like taking pain killers for back pain...its not going to stop whats causing the pain, only give short term relief.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 7:48am PST 
Fernanda.....just go with half a tablet, but they usually have weight guides on the packs (follow childs guide) However I only give my Ridgeback 1 as that does the job, but he could have more as hes 40 kilos. (i give my Staffie half)

Edited by author Wed Jul 17, '13 7:54am PST

[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 8:06am PST 
Kayla....I dont think yours is a food issue, as you mentioned the time of year, its more likely to be grass related, just try the benadryl first. Try it for week, if no difference try the food (food will take a lot longer to have an effect though)
Whatever anyone does they need to do one thing at a time and give it chance to work. If you change more than one thing at a time you will just make it more difficult.
[notify]
Toby

Got food?

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 8:57am PST 
Does anyone use coconut oil? I buy it at the health food store (human). Just get the organic unrefined and start with a small amount building up to a few spoonfuls. My dogs all look great and my Beagles itchies have just about gone away.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4