GO!

anybody else having a horrendous time with skin issues?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 5:50am PST 
Hi Fernanda, why do you bath your dog so much? I bath my dogs about once every 6 months (unless they get filthy) & they do not smell AT ALL. I would guess its food related, as I have said earlier some dogs are not good on kibble. Also just remember that your vet has to make a living, so its not good for your vet if he solves the problem straight away at no cost to you, he wont get his holiday from doing that! they make thousands & thousands from skin related issues, which can usually be solved with tinned Chappie or a Benadryl tablet or Camrosa Oil (the 3 best things when it comes to skin issues and dogs, I know...ive been through it all) good luck!

Edited by author Mon Jul 22, '13 12:44pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 5:56am PST 
Hunter....If its an airbourne allergy try a Benadryl tablet (might want 2 hes a big lad) once a day. if its food related get him on tinned Chappie (ive experienced all these issues with my dogs & the things I am suggesting have been proved to work) just add some bran flakes or grated carrots for extra fibre. Stop bathing him so much, he will have no oils left in his skin. good luck!
[notify]
Kiera, HIAdsc

Ducks Beware

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 5:56am PST 
I will cut back on the bathing. I’m starting to wonder if that is why her skin is flaky. The food the vet is giving us has fish oil in it, so would I need to add more? I’m not sure if her skin is dry, but it’s definitely really flaky. Would bathing every 2 weeks be okay? The vet thinks the new food is going to help her a lot. But, I do agree with the weather causing a lot of the problems! Now, Keira did have a case of fleas about a month ago. I’m kind of wondering if the fleas caused a secondary infection, like a fungus or something? I sure hope this new food helps Kiera. Thanks Mika and Kai!
[notify]

Kayla

The Ultimate- Watchdog

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 5:58am PST 
I will try the Benadryl. It's definately worth a shot!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 6:05am PST 
Kiera....please stop buying food from your vets, there really is no need, he will say its going to help otherwise you wont buy it! Stop bathing your dog, twice a year is plenty 3 at a push. It will be kibble in general not the brand there is too much of everything in kibble, they are dogs not humans, I am trying to give you advice from lots of experience from these issues, & a very good friend that was a veterinary nurse, shes seen it all before. My advice will save you lots of money, so you have nothing to lose.
[notify]
Fernanda

All things- edible are mine!

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 6:05am PST 
I’m trying to keep Fernanda clean. Maybe I’m overdoing it, though. Should I switch her to a canned food? If I can get help without going to the vet, that is great! We don’t have Chappie here. Would Merrick be a good canned food for her? There is one called Merrick Summer Seasonals Merrick’an Pie Grain Free:

Chicken, Chicken Broth, Red Apple, Peas Ground, Modified Potato Starch, Dried Egg Product, Natural Pork Flavor, Cranberry, Blueberry, Yeast Culture, Salt, Carageenan, Guar Gum, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Canola Oil, Cassia Gum, Flax Oil, Poultry seasoning(Rosemary, Sage, Thyme) Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Carmel Color, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Yucca Shidegera Extract, Lecithin, Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 6:17am PST 
Sorry I just presume evryone lives in England smile
Ingredients/ analasis:
Fish and Fish Derivatives (Including min. 14% White Fish), Cereals (min. 4%), Meat and Animal Derivatives (Including min. 4% Chicken), Oils and Fats, Herbs, Minerals
Protein 6%
Oil 3%
Ash 1. 5%
Fibre 0. 45%
Moisture 74%
Copper 2mg/kg

This is canned wet food, As little ingredients as possible is usually best for your dogs, just needs more fibre to keep anal glands working thats why I say add bran/ carrots.

Hope you can find something similar where you are?
[notify]
Manuel

Kiss Me!

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 6:37am PST 
This is our first post, but I thought it would be a good one! Manuel is new here and hoping to make some friends. This looks like a thread for dogs with skin issues, which really isn't Manuel, but he does have a very bad burn on his side and I'm hoping for maybe some advice. My wife and I are an elderly couple, but still very active. Yesterday my wife was boiling some water when she accidently knocked the pot and Manuel being a chowhound and always underfoot when she is cooking, got scauling water all over his side! The burn doesn't appear very deep, thankfully. But, this morning his hair was coming out in clumps to reveal raw red skin. I put a cold washcloth on him and sat with him for a while. I've wrapped his entire side (basically his whole body) in gauze wrapping. We have an appointment for the vet tomorrow morning at 7am, since they had nothing today, but I'm hoping for some advice here.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 6:47am PST 
Sudocrem. try to stay by him when you put it on so he doesnt lick it (wont harm him but needs to stay on for at least 20 minutes to work)
[notify]
Hunter, HI

I Heard You

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 6:58am PST 
I will give the Benadryl a try. I don’t think it’s his food. I live in the US, so I can’t get Chappie. I will cut down on the bathing, too. Thanks!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4