GO!

anybody else having a horrendous time with skin issues?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 12:47pm PST 
I'm at my wits end! My two got fleas, likely from the neighbor dog who isn't well cared for. We treated them, the yard, took care of things in the house. No more fleas. Reyna, however, developed a staph infection from all the itching she was doing. So she was put on cephalexin. That took care of the staph but caused a systemtic yeast infection. I put her on some good probiotics and enzymes and bathed regularly with an anti-fungal shampoo mixed with apple cider vinegar and that really seemed to help. Guess what? The staph is back! I tried treating naturally which was successful at clearing up previous infected areas, but the infection just keeps traveling on her body. The new antibiotic seems to be doing very little in helping it, but it's only been a few days. I feed raw by the way, and don't believe this is in any way food related.

I thought I was losing my mind but now TWO friends are complaining of their dogs being horribly itchy and having skin problems. One has a boxer, the other has a poodle/boston terrier mix. Both live on opposite sides of the county from me, but both dogs are experiencing the same symptoms as Reyna, minus the initial flea problem.

I live in SC, but went to PA to visit family just two weeks ago. My brothers dog was suffering from the SAME THING! Not only that, but my good friend is his neighbor, and their dog was having problems too.

What in the world is going on?
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 5:01am PST 
Just a bit of info for you that could help? My Ridgeback used to be on dry kibble (good quality) but always had red sore looking skin. So I put him on Chappie Original meat and after a couple of weeks he looked great & also he calmed down a lot & didnt try to hump everything in sight. Then everyone was always raving on about raw food so I started him on tripe & Chicken / tripe, but after 3 weeks his soreness came back, so now he is back on the chappie & he has a handfull of bran flakes or grated carrot once a day for extra fibre. He now looks good again, so I will keep him on that from now on. I spoke to a friend of mine who is an ex vet' nurse, & she said she also feeds her dogs the same (she told me to add the extra fibre aswell though). She also said that SOME dogs can be sensitive to too much protein, as in dry kibble there are usually ridiculous high levels of protein & also high in the raw meat & tripe, might be worth a try?
[notify]
Hunter, HI

I Heard You

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 5:04am PST 
I use a spray called Be Soothed Tea Tree Oil Skin Relief on my dogs.
http://www.1800petmeds.com/Be+Soothed.+Tea+Tree+Oil+Skin+Relief-pr od10989.html
[notify]

Kiera, HIAdsc

Ducks Beware

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 5:11am PST 
We are having the worst problem here! Kiera has really bad flaky skin right now. I'm thinking it's just the weather. But, she did have fleas, so that could be causing it. I'm wondering if the fleas could have caused a secondary fungal infections (is that possible)? I talked to my vet about this and he thought her diet could be the root cause of this. I have her on Canidae right now and he wrote her a prescription for Royal Canin Formula Skin and Coat KO. So, I'm going to pick that up today and see how she does on it. I've been bathing her weekly and I'm really hoping the new food helps her. Here are the ingredients:

Oat Flour, Kangaroo, Canola Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid), Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Fish Oil (preserved with Ethoxyquin), Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Thiamine Mononitrate (souce of Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate

I think I might cut back her baths to every two weeks - what do you think?
[notify]
Kayla

The Ultimate- Watchdog

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 5:17am PST 
Kayla suffers from skin allergies and something about this time of the year is really making her miserble. The poor girl is spending most of her time indoors now. I've been giving her weekly baths, too. I always use cold water, not just because it is so hot out, but because it stops her itching. I've just started her on an Omega 3 supplement called Nordic Naturals and I'm crossing my fingers that that will have some effect. I've found that PawGanics itch spray helps with the itching a lot. We have a vet appointment scheduled for tomorrow, since her allergies are so bad and are hoping that maybe he will give Kayla something to alieviate the itchiness.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 5:25am PST 
I would definitely cut back on the baths !!! Too frequent bathing strips the natural skin oils and can make dry skin, flaking, and itching much worse.
You might also want to try adding some fish oil and vitamin E to her diet. I have 2 Akitas who as a breed are known for sensitive and easily develop dry skin. It is recommended that they not be bathed more than 3 times a year because of this unless it is absolutely necessary. I hope the new food helps as well. I think this weather being hot and very humid has given a lot of pups problems we wouldn't normally see.

Also for the original poster, secondary infections from flea bite dermatitis can be difficult to treat and this weather can make it even more so. Before Mika and Kai our dog Mattie got the secondary staph infection from flea bite dermatitis several times,we did everything we possibly could but she was severely allergic and had other allergies as well, it often during the summer took more than one course of Keflex and as many as 3 to get her back in shape from even one bite by a flea. Good Luck and best wishes it can be very hard to deal with.

Hoping everyone's pups get relief soon.hugwishesflowers
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 5:38am PST 
Kiera.... if you are feeding dry kibble then this could be the cause, some dogs are great on it & some terrible (I have one of each), its not usually the different brands its just kibble in general. Try Chappie Original (tinned) I know some people dont like the thought of it but some dogs (like mine) thrive on it, just give a handfull of grated carrot or bran flakes once a day also for extra fibre. (my other dog is not good on chappie but is good on James Wellbeloved kibble) its just finding the right food for your dog.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 5:39am PST 
Kayla...my staffie is allegic to grass seed, she goes red raw & literally bites the pads off her feet due to the itching, I solved it by giving her a Benadryl tablet 30 mins before her walk, problem solved. Worth a try?
[notify]
Fernanda

All things- edible are mine!

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 5:41am PST 
We are new here! wave

Fernanda is only around 16 weeks old and has been having itchy skin. I bathe her once a week, but I'm now thinking that may be too much. I make sure to brush her every single day, too! She is on Fromm, which I'm told is a very good quality food. I've noticed that Fernanda itches mostly in the morning. thinking Also, the vet put her on a spray medicine called Betagen becaus she has a hot spot on her rump and a rash on her tummy. cry
[notify]
Hunter, HI

I Heard You

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 5:50am PST 
Hunter has been having some skin irritations as of lately, too. I'm wondering if he could have a food allergy (he is on Royal Canin). I've been giving him Omega-3 oils (1-800-PetMeds brand). I'm thinking of just shaving his entire coat off to stop the skin problems, but I'm worried it won't grow back the same (he's a Bernese Mountain Dog). I've been doing weekly baths in cold water, too. I use 1-800-PetMeds brand oatmeal and aloe vera shampoo. I was told by someone to switch from plastic to stainless steel dishes, so now we only have those. Also, I've been putting the spray I mentioned earlier on the most irritated spots. A friend even suggested rubbing him down with apple cider vinegar (haven't tried it yet, but I'm at my wits end and I might try it today)! I did call the vet a few days ago and they told me that they will give me a script for a shampoo called KetoChlor (anybody try it?)
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4