GO!

vomiting pink tinged mucus

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Rosie

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 11:24am PST 
I have a yorkie. She is put in a pen at night. This morning when I went to get her she had thrown up all over. One area looked like a pile of dry dog food. Two other spots looked like dried yellow water and one little spot was very light pink tinged mucus. So I never fed her any breakfast. A few hours later she had a big drink of water and started puking up pink tinged mucus again.I'm just thinking she just has an upset stomach. If she doesn't get any better I will take her to the vet in the morning. In the meantime any suggestions?
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 11:39am PST 
I dunno...that's an awful lot of vomit. Keep trying to give her water. If she's not keeping water down even, I'd get her to the vet. You don't want her to get dehydrated, and the pink-tinge in the mucus is concerning.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 11:45am PST 
You need to be very, very careful if you try to wait to visit the vet. Dogs dehydrate quickly, and the smaller the dog the faster they go downhill. I would not recommend waiting to speak to a vet, especially if you are also seeing diarrhea. Most likely the pink tinge is minor bleeding from irritation, but it's possible your dog has Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis, a deadly condition where a dog dehydrates as it's GI tract bleeds. If this is the case, you have about 12 hours from onset of symptoms (not from now!) before shock sets in and the dog dies.

As far as water goes, you must start very slowly, or she's just going to keep throwing up. When my dogs are vomiting, I pick up their water, wait 30min to an hour past the last vomit, then offer the water. I literally count 5 tongue laps and take the bowl away again for 15 min. If that stays down for the 15 min, I offer water again and this time count 10 laps. As long as they do not vomit again, I offer water 10 laps of water every 15 min until they are no longer interested in drinking. Then I just leave the water down, and let them resume regulating on their own, since my dogs are good about regulating their own water intake.
[notify]

Rosie

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 12:04pm PST 
Well it's been a couple of hours since the second time she vomited. She doesn't have diarrhea. She is running around and barking at everything and I think she's a little angry because I haven't fed her yet. She loves to eat! Thanks for the advice on the water though. I don't want to jump to conclusions right yet because the only vet open today is the emergency clinic and they charge $200 to start. My regular vet doesn't open until tomorrow at 8am. Don't get me wrong I love my dog but I also love to be able to pay my rent and feed my kids...lol
[notify]
Octavia

I'm Not a Pit- Bull

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 3:30pm PST 
I’m not too sure what could be going on here. So much vomit in such a small dog can be dangerous. I’m glad to hear that she has at least stopped, for now.
[notify]