GO!

Environmental Allergies...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 8:42am PST 
Savvy has reactions to topical flea treatment so we don't use them. Once she had a reaction to sprayed pesticides...we were walking in the woods and I could smell the pesticide, maybe a mosquito repellent. She broke out in hives.

This weekend we were at a pond we often visit. She was happily rolling in the goose poop and then jumping in the pond. Then we went home and by the time we got there she was rubbing her head and hives had started to develop. I can't be sure where she got contact with whatever she got contact with, but I kind of think that the geese themselves may have been exposed and then when Savvy got into the poop she picked it up since she is sensitive. A quick hosing and a dose of Benydryl got her straight. Any one else had something like this happen?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 9:10am PST 
Poor Savvy.hughug Mattie, the Akita mix we had before Mika and Kai, had multiple allergies. It was sheer misery for her and us. When we had Mattie there were not the things available that there are now so we had to find the food she had the least problem with, her flea allergy was so severe that without Advantage we might have had to consider euthanasia because of her reaction, and she had multiple environmental allergies as well. We always kept baby wipes on hand for wiping her off when she came inside from being out. we also kept a regular supply of the antihistamine she did well on, for her Benedryl was not an option and we also kept antibiotics on hand for secondary infections that her allergies made her more prone to. Our only option for treating her at the time was to use injectable steroids mixed with an antihistamine two to three times a year. Any pup with severe allergies and their people have my deepest sympathy because it is so difficult to deal with and watching them be miserable is even worse at times.hugwishes We hope you find something that works well for Savvy.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 9:22am PST 
Mom says thanks for the baby wipes tip. She took me swimming at another pond yesterday and I am fine now.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 7:10am PST 
Glad the wipes helped. It seems that getting off the allergen as quickly after exposure as possible does wonders.hughugwisheswishes
[notify]