GO!

Emi keeps freaking out. Help!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Emi

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 5:09pm PST 
Hi everyone. Im new here and this is my first post.

Emi is a 5 yr old Husky Beagle. She is generally very sensitive. When the weather goes bad (even just a little bit) she will start hyperventilating (panting) and shaking. She does this for loud noises (fireworks, etc..) and fighting (family arguments and animal fights as well).

Well, we just moved a week and a half ago and now she does this almost everyday around 3pm. She will continue doing this for a couple of hours. Since the move, she hasnt been eating daily, but she often (once or twice a month) went without eating before the move.

Is there something wrong with her? Should I start drugging her when she starts this?
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 5:14pm PST 
I would definitely suggest you to talk to your vet. It sounds like severe anxiety. There's something that is probably happening...a noise, something that triggers this every day at 3pm. Thats what it sounds like.

Before "drugging" your dog, discuss it with your vet. I have heard of the thunder shirt helping with this type of thing It helps some but not others...Good luck to you! way to go
[notify]
Tyson

Two-Time Cancer- Survivor!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 6:24pm PST 
It could be that something is going on at that time that only she can hear or pick up on. An hour ago, someone set off a firework and my dog hates them. He has been staring at the ceiling for the past hour - as if he see's a ghost or something that we can't see. So I know how you feel and the anxiety of not knowing what the trigger is or how to fix it.

Have you tried doing something she really enjoys doing at that time? A particular toy? A bowl of ice cream to snap the fixation?

I agree with my bud Scooter. Talk to a vet. Our little Hannah has a thundershirt. Seems to help a little but we still have to drug her when it gets really bad.
[notify]

Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 3:45am PST 
You can also try playing some music at that time. Try to mask what ever it is she's hearing.
[notify]
Emi

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 11:10am PST 
Thanks for the replies... after some thought, I believe Emi is deeply missing her balcony. She normally spent her afternoon time on the balcony watching people at the pool and other dogs going on walks on the pathway.

I did try the thundershirt and it was useless. She gets pretty bad. Putting her out is the only solution that we have found but I dont do this unless it looks really bad. Sometimes she tries to deal with it, but other times she is very irritating climbing on us and panting her hot breath on us.
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 1:04pm PST 
My female is also sensitive, loud noises set her off.
She used to turn into a complete basket case when Thunderstorms approached and stayed that way til they were long gone. Shaking, drooling, panting, and glued to my heel. Her eyes looked bloodshot and watery. Quite a mess.
She also gets nervous whenever there is any noise around the house, thumping or banging. She is no longer bothered by the vacuum cleaner. Her overall reactiveness improved around age 3 years.

I found drugs were counter productive. Trying to dope up a dog that was nervous just made her hyper vigilant because she felt sleepy. Major backfire.

I did try the Thundershirt, followed the directions to have the dog wear it a few times during fear periods. It took three times. It isn't a 100% cure, but the improvement is good enough so I no longer worry about her during storms.
I recommend the Thundershirt all the time and the feed back is always positive. Did you give it several afternoons before giving up on it? Did you get it on tight enough? If its on correctly, your dog will almost always do a full body shake. In dog body language it is "shaking off stress". If she never did a shake while wearing it, it wasn't working for her.

Other things that may help are making sure she gets enough exercise, both physical and mental. Brain work under times of stress can refocus a worried dog. Teach her some coping skills. For Pepper, she needed both brain work and a place to retreat when she was scared. She has a few spots in the house she finds comforting. The first floor powder room, the laundry room, my shower, behind the chair in my bedroom.
She found some of these spots on her own, but I was teaching her to find a retreat when we had people in the house because she was reactive with strangers.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 1:41pm PST 
The whole point of a thundershirt is to create some pressure on their body. MANY people do not put them tight enough and the effect is nothing more than wearing a regular jacket.
Try putting it on tighter. We have put them on several of our boarding clients and had great results when their owners swore they were no help because they were on way too lose.
[notify]
Pepper

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 3:30pm PST 
Toto,
Thanks for the validation!
Please Emi's Parents, try the T-shirt again? Make sure it is snug. Look for the full body shake.
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 6:09pm PST 
We had a similar situation: separation anxiety and firework/thunderstorm phobia; then we moved to a new apartment and Hazel developed daily panic attacks with seemingly no cause.

We went through most of the over-the-counter remedies, including the Thundershirt. Do give it a fair chance, but realize that even if you use it correctly, some dogs just do not respond.

When the anxiety got to the point where it seemed like she was always on edge and could not relax, we took her to the vet. The first vet dismissed our concerns and didn't even bother to look at our written history of her behaviors and remedies we'd tried. Be persistent, because some vets don't take behavioral problems seriously! The second vet prescribed some meds to help in the short-term, and gave us a referral to a veterinary behaviorist. The behaviorist gave us a detailed behavior modification plan, as well as a new medication that has been very effective.
[notify]
Pepper

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 12:41pm PST 
Hazel,
Glad you stuck to your guns and saw the 2nd Vet.
All Vets have to take a Behavioral class, but it is often not the focus of their practice. The first Vet didn't have any idea what to tell you, so brushed you off. BOO!
Your choice of a second opinion payed attention in class. YEAH!

I have had a couple of people say the Thundershirt didn't work. I showed them how to fit it, they didn't have it on right. Neither read the directions or used it a few times before giving up.

There is no magic, easy, pill or cure.
Seeing a behaviorist that can provide you with dog-related suggestions is a good idea.
Humans often try to comfort with petting - which is the absolute WRONG thing to do.

Suggestions almost always are: Increase leash walking, provide mental exercises, teach coping skills. Medication is a way of opening the door for a pet too disabled by anxiety for these to work.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2