GO!

Kennel Cough

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Chance

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 7:47am PST 
I just adopted my new baby Chance on June 15th. Two days later (Monday,) I took him to the vet because he had an awful cough. The vet confirmed that it is kennel cough, and prescribed him pills that he is supposed to take every 4 hours, to help his cough, which I have been giving him on schedule, and also an antibiotic to take with his food in the morning and night. Poor little guy is not getting better, and has already been on his antibiotics 3 and 1/2 days. I called the vet yesterday, they told me to sit in with him and let the steam for the shower get into his lungs, which is something I have been doing, but that doesn't seem to be helping much... I have also read honey is good, but I've got a picky eater on my hands and he wont take the honey. Other things I have read is vitamin c pills? Anyone else tried that? Is it safe? Does it work? I guess all I wanna know is, has anyone else dealt with kennel cough, and how soon can I expect it to go away? Any tips you can give me to get him feeling better? Chance is so happy in his new home, I just wish I could get him healthy too frown THANK you in advance for any responses.smile
[notify]
Max

Did you say- 'dinner time'???-

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 11:05am PST 
I'm so sorry to hear that Chance has kennel cough, poor fella. How wonderful of you to adopt him, what a lucky fella! And yes, now he just needs to get healthy. You should begin to see improvement within a week, and it could take up to 3 weeks for the cough to dissappear. If he shows signs of worsening, I'd definitely contact the vet.

Unfortuantely this is alike like a cold in humans, there are things you can do to alleviate the symptoms and help shorten the duration, but it's going to have to run its course.

As far as the hot shower, I'd close the door and let the steam build up, then let Chance sit in the room for about 20 minutes. Proably need to do this several times a day. A humidifier or vaporizer can be used as well, to help his breathing. Also when he's in the house, I'd keep his collar off, so he won't feel constricted when a coughing attack hits.

Vitamin C should help boot his immune system, but I'd ask the vet what the safe dosage to give would be, this depends on weight and age. Along with the Vitamin C, you could try a Echinacea and goldenseal tincture, given three times a day. Echinacea and goldenseal are supposed to work to help fight a broad spectrum of viruses and bacteria. Goldenseal is supposed to help with bronchial infections.

Hope Chance gets feeling better soon!
[notify]
Jovi, NPC,- CEGE

Momma's boy and- proud of it!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 12:53pm PST 
I foster and it can take up to 2 weeks for them to start feeling better from the kennel cough. Thank you for adopting
[notify]

Chance

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 9:53am PST 
Thank you both so much for the information. I really appreciate it!! I took him to the vet again today because the cough wasn't getting better and it was scaring me. Turns out the poor little guy has got bronchitis. He's on a lot of antibiotics, so hopefully we see at least a little less coughing by the weekend. Max, I'm definitely going to talk to my vet about Goldenseal and see if that will help; and, Jovi, thank you! It's awesome that you foster pets. Thanks again!! smile

-Nicole
[notify]