GO!

Plaque and Tartar on canine teeth

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3  
Natcho

LabraDORK

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 8:53am PST 
Can someone please explain the proper way of brushing a dogs teeth? It's basically impossible to scrub anything other than Natcho's canine's. laugh out loud
[notify]
(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 10:23am PST 
Natcho - I got a baby brush originally but just recently purchased the KISSABLE toothbrush...it has 3 brushes on it to get all sides of the teeth.
We will attempt it tonight.

Normally I put the enzymatic toothpaste on the brush and scrub the back teeth on the left and right and then I put more toothpaste on to do the front and canines. I would love to hear the best way to brush!
[notify]
Natcho

LabraDORK

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 1:36pm PST 
I have the nylabone toothbrush and toothpaste. The tooth brush has bristles down the middle and rubber spikes on the sides, it always seems difficult to brush with it though.
[notify]

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 7:08pm PST 
Lily has a puppy Nylabone toothbrush because it came with the dental kit I bought. I just use a regular soft human toothbrush on Scruffy. (We keep his toothbrush with the dog stuff so no human accidentally uses it. laugh out loud) I brush their teeth and gums using tiny circular motions because I feel that it's gentler on their gums and that I can brush their teeth more thoroughly this way.
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 9:36pm PST 
If you get an enzymatic tooth paste its more that you have to apply the paste to the teeth rather than brush to physically remove the plaque. The enzymes break down the plaque and tartar so its not that you need the brush to "scrub" but more of paint brush idea way to go
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 11:20pm PST 
You cannot make the pets teeth clean with something known as brushing them as they do not like to be treated that way. However you may try some sodium chloride rinse solutions which wont affect even if they swallow it in. They are good to eliminate the bacterial infections persistent in teeth too.
[notify]
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 4:41pm PST 
We brush every morning here. My favorite is the nylabone advanced oral care toothpaste, because it has sodium hexametaphosphate in it which is supposed to help with breaking down tartar.
I use a human electric toothbrush on them. But they are 55+ pounds.
They don't mind the vibration and since it is such a routine they look forward to it every morning.
I also scale their teeth every 4 months or so. I polish them too but I get my polish from work (vet tech).
If you never brushed your teeth what would they look like?? Food doesn't clean teeth. Maybe raw bones but food no.
They stay pretty clean one dog builds faster then the others.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 27)  
1  2  3