GO!

Plaque and Tartar on canine teeth

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 10:04am PST 
Hey everyone!
I have two Shelties...a 2 year old and a 3 year old...the 3 year old (Quinlan) has brown stuff on his canines and the 2 year old is just starting to get yellow.

Now...They usually have constant supply of bully sticks (which usually last about a week and I replenish them). Indie, the 2 year old, has GI issues so I don't want something that woudl upset his stomach. He doesn't do well with things like the ROLLOVER stuff hooves you buy at stores and I am keeping away from chicken based products.

I was hoping someone would have pointers for their teeth.

Since it is the canines I am not sure that chewing a bone or anything would really help...any pointers?

supplements? chews? ideas?
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 10:20am PST 
Huck is 5 and Ringo is 4. They get great check ups when they go to the vet. Dr. told me that whatever I'm doing to keep on doing. laugh out loud I don't do anything. I buy them each cow bones and they love chewing on them and at the say time, it's keeping their teeth clean
[notify]
(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 10:31am PST 
What kind of cow bones?
I usually shop at PetsMart, PetValu...there is a Global Pet Store within driving distance...
[notify]

Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 11:19am PST 
Lily came to me with quite a bit of plaque on her canines and nothing helped besides just brushing her teeth, which has reduced some of the plaque build up on her canines. So if you can brush your pup's teeth I highly recommend that you do so. You'll also want to try an enzymatic doggie toothpaste. For me the enzymatic toothpaste really made a difference on my dog's teeth. I like Nylabone's dog toothpaste, it's made in the USA and they have a peanut flavor that my dogs really like. The tartar control toothpaste Lily didn't really seem to care for. There was no flavor listed on the tartar control toothpaste package but I contacted Nylabone and they told me that the tartar control toothpaste was molasses flavor. Personally I didn't really notice a difference between the tartar control toothpaste and the regular toothpaste. For teeth cleaning chews, I've had good results with raw meaty bones, bully sticks, and Himalayan Dog Chews.

Edited by author Thu Jun 13, '13 11:30am PST

[notify]
Ch. Ali, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 12:51pm PST 
I have toy breeds and the only ones who have ANY tartar are the ones who WON'T chew on the RMB's they get weekly. Those two get a hand scaling every time I groom them.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 2:10pm PST 
I've seen great improvement in Jewel's teeth since we started RMBs execpt her canines and the tooth on either side of the canine. I have a gel from the vet's office that I rub on those three teeth every day and I'm starting to see improvement.

It may just be the way your dogs chew or the structure of their mouths but you'll likely have to do those teeth by hand.
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 2:55pm PST 
I give my dogs deer antlers, nylabones, and raw meaty bones(just don't use weight bearing bones). I am also using Tropiclean Clean Teeth Gel once a night and that really seems to help soften the tartar up so it comes off easier(they weren't getting quite as much tartar off until I started using that) . 2 of mine needed a dental a couple of months ago. One now has completely white teeth with no signs of gum disease(he had signs of gingivitis) and the other has a little bit of yellow plaque left however the big chunks of tartar are gone.
[notify]
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 4:20pm PST 
Hi from one Sheltie to the next! big grin

I brush Firefly's teeth every day with Denta Clean Mint tooth paste and a kid's Snoopy brush. That's honestly the only thing that I think really helps with teeth staying plaque free. I do give her bullysticks too, but I'm not dependent on them to maintain her dental health.

Vets will also do cleanings, but I don't opt for that..
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 9:10pm PST 
That's where my vet told me to really pay attention to is the canines and front teeth. They'll chelate their back teeth without much trouble, but if you are going to brush anywhere, brushe the canines and really do those circular motions. I use nutrivet enzymatic toothpaste and a little infant toothbrush I got at walgreens. They don't make dog toothbrushes small enough for chihuahua mouths. Foxxy is 7-8y/o and she has fairly white chompers

Edited by author Thu Jun 13, '13 9:10pm PST

[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 9:17pm PST 
I think brushing is the gold standard for oral care in combination with regular vet visits for cleanings if necessary and chews. Greenies are veterinary oral health council approved to remove plaque and tartar and they're very popular in the store I work smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3