GO!

Low red blood cell + very high reticulocytes

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 10:55pm PST 
I think my 11 year old Labrador is dying...

2 weeks ago we though he was starting to have arthritis since he had trouble getting up after he had lay down. Then walking started to look difficult, so I brought him to the vet.
The vet gave him an injection of cartrophen. He was starting to feel better. But 2 weeks later the same story occurred ( trouble walking and standing up). Brought him back to the vet, the vet gave him another injection and also asked me to give him Rimadyl. That seemed to make things worse : he started to have diarrhea, lost his appetite and puked several times a day.

Back to the vet again he did a complete blood count and analyse of his urine and feces. Most of his blood work looks fine except for his red blood cell (4.89 while normal is 5.50 to 8.50). Hematocrite also is low but very close to the low end of the medium range so not too bad. What is scaring me is the retic value : 366 while normal is 10 to 110!! The vet said nothing was wrong with his blood test results but I noticed that one only yesterday and now I'm scared! Why would he tell me that everything is fine if that result is so damn high?? Unless there's something I don't understand with this retic value?

The same day the vet told me to stop Rimadyl and give Deramax instead, plus some famotidine for his nausea, plus novo-sucralate for his stomach.

The dog kind of got his appetite back but I think it's related to the food change : I give him wellness core instead of royal canin scrap. But his legs and body in general didn't improve. It got worse to a point where he can't stand up, I have to use a belt to help him stand up, and walking seems to hurt,

I called the vet he now suspects a cancer...
Does anyone see something with all these info I gave?

Could it only be arthritis but with a stomach problem simply caused by the medicine?
Or does that retic value shows something important?
How can I rule out the cancer theory?
Any help will be greatly appreciated !
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 3:55am PST 
Do you have ticks in your area? Did you have your dog tested for tick borne diseases? If you do have ticks, you might ask your vet about Ehrlichia Infection in Dogs. It goes after the red blood cells and they get anemia. Jax had it and it's treatable with antibiotics. The pain meds might be making him vomit. I would ask your vet about it this morning. If it is Ehrlichia, they start feeling better in a few days. Good Luck and please keep us posted.
[notify]
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 4:34am PST 
Rimadyl can do that, especially with Labradors. For some reason, they are VERY sensitive to that drug. It attacks their liver almost immediately. Those values should be more normal after he's off it.
However, another too common problem can be a tumor on his spleen. If found early enough, it can be successfully cured with removal of the organ. Ultrasound will normally show this problem.
The tumor bleeds into the abdomen and is VERY painful, which can contribute to the walking issues as well as the low RBC.
Good luck!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 12:32pm PST 
Tomorrow ill have x faux done to confirm arthritis and maybe see (I know it doesn't always show up) if there's a cancer. I'll talk to the vet about that spleen tumor possibility.
In the meantime, I lowered the medicine dosage by half.
Thanks for your help to both of you!
[notify]

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Thu Jun 13, '13 5:25pm PST 
No problem. Please let us know what you find out. hug
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 11:04pm PST 
Unfortunately Daphnee passed away. They found a tumor in his neck. That is why he could not stand on his feet anymore... It's ok now, he's not suffering anymore...
Rest in peace little buddy
[notify]

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 4:01am PST 
I'm sorry.........hughughugrainbow
[notify]