|Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 1:45pm PST |
|First of all, I am so happy I found this board! How neat!!
My baby boy, Tyson, is already a two-time cancer survivor. He had soft tissue sarcoma in 2009 in his snout which I had removed. We followed that up with a month of radiation and 3 chemo treatments (they stopped after 3 b/c it was killing his white blood cells counts and the vet felt it was doing more harm than good). Then in 2011, he had skin cancer which was removed and he takes 6 benedryl daily to help keep the histamine at bay.
I noticed my dog sneezing more than normal and had a dry discharge. Took him to my regular vet and they gave me an antibiotic in case it was an infection but also said it could be allergies. When the antibiotic did nothing, we thought I should take him back to the oncologist since the sarcoma was in his nose area. They performed a full body CT scan.
Oncologist called after speaking with the radiologist and said his nose and lungs look clear - phew great news! Until she tells me that both of his thyroid glands seem every so slightly enlarged and felt that it "may" be an early indication of thyroid cancer. She said what is unusual in Tyson's case is that BOTH glands seemed to be enlarged and that it's usually just one. Of course a needle aspirate is not recommended b/c it's so early, they would only appear as thyroid tissue and not give them a good read of whether or not this is truly cancer. A surgical biopsy is scheduled for this Friday and will cost approx $1,600 - $1,900!
We had more blood work done last Friday and I texted my vet to see if the results came in. She said she had faxed them to the Oncologist earlier today (no phone call them yet but they could be consulting with other dr's on how to proceed). However, my vet did say his thyroid was borderline low and that his platelets were a bit low. However, I have no idea if this in indicative of thyroid cancer or not. In other words, by her saying his thyroid was borderline low, was she referring to his T3 or T4?
While researching online, I have found these factors to be of concern in blood work with thyroid cancer: Low T3 & T4, elevated TSH levels, high cholesterol, positive antiobodies for hyperthroidism and anemia.
My question is, do I spend the money to get the biopsy done at this point? I could wait and repeat another CT in 6 months but that would cost just as much as this biopsy. I am so worried that I will make the wrong decision. Oncologist said we are catching this SOOO early if it is cancer that no radiation/chemo would be necessary. Just removal of this thyroids if the biopsy came back with cancer followed with regulatory medicine for the remainder of his life.
Hope I haven't rambled too much in my first post...so much running through my mind. Thank you to all who respond.
|my posts | my page | msg me | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|