GO!

Help Finding the Appropriate Flea Preventative

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hamlet

Longdog- Silverpaws

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 4:13pm PST 
Ham has been on Trifexis for almost five months now. It works magnificently for the first week or so, but then the fleas jump on him outside and he resumes non-stop scratching. I'm beginning to think that he may be allergic to the bites due to the fact that he barely seems to get relief and he's beginning to form scabs. frown I feel so bad!

From what I understand, Trifexis works by killing fleas as they bite him. Should I switch to another oral preventative or should I try a topical one? If so, what should I try? I read that certain preventatives can be harmful or exascerbate conditions in dogs, so I'm hesitant to choose anything by myself. Thus, I'm looking for experienced and/or educated suggestions.

Help?

Edited by author Sun May 12, '13 4:14pm PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 5:46pm PST 
Not a recommendation smile but this is what I do. I use DE on their sleeping and resting areas, vacuum at least once a week and wash their bedding at least once a week as well. If I see a flea or signs of fleas , I use Advantage ( a topical) smile
Dr. Jean Dodds recommends using a topical as it can be washed off if necessary. She also suggests that the topicals can be stretched out to be used every 45 days instead of 30.

ETA I also use a flea comb on my Chi. It's harder with Bunny, he has very thick and wavy fur.

Edited by author Sun May 12, '13 5:48pm PST

[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 6:13pm PST 
I went looking for the info but couldnt find all of it. I may have been mistaken about the 45 day thing, apparently thats for heartworm medsthinking
[notify]

Hamlet

Longdog- Silverpaws

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 6:37pm PST 
So, you use a topical preventative instead of an oral one? I'm afraid that if I take him off the Trifexis and try a topical, they might get much worse.

I clean my apartment frequently in order to kill what comes in, but they jump on him when we go outside.
[notify]
Daisy Mae

Cute? Yeah,- that's me.

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 2:55am PST 
I recently took my pug off of Trifexis after 10 months. She had 4 seizures in that times. The first one was three weeks after her first dose, the other 3 were with one week of taking the Trifexis. Luckily, I have not had a flea problem with this dog. If I did, I would choose a topical treatment, like Frontline.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 3:45am PST 
I would definitely talk to the vet before switching , if you have concernssmile Yes, I use a topical but I am in a totally different climate than you are. Do you know anything about DE? Its a natural flea killer for use on the dogs living areas, not necessarily on the dog.
[notify]
Hamlet

Longdog- Silverpaws

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 8:38am PST 
I've never heard of it, but I will definitely look into it. Thanks!

We live in the south. Flea season is beginning and the weather is cool one day and hot the next.

I'll definitely talk to my vet about it, I just wanted to see what works for you guys. smile The most popular orals in my area are Trifexis and Comfortis. My local pet store sells Frontline, Advantage, and K-9 Advantix topicals.
[notify]
Max

Did you say- 'dinner time'???-

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 11:29am PST 
I have never had any luck with the oral medications in dealing with fleas, but I know some others have. I also live in the south, and fleas are rampant here as you know, as well as ticks. I treat my yard with natural products such as food grade DE (also use in my house) and/or a product called Evolv from Wondercide. Please don't get the pool grade DE, it is harmful to dogs. I've bought the DE online at Amazon.

But on Max, I've had to use a topical, K-9 Advantix works best for him. And because the ticks are so bad in our area, I also use a Preventic tick collar, which keeps the ticks off of him, as opposed to a topical which kills them after they bite.
[notify]
Milton

I Only Eat It- Raw!

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 10:10pm PST 
Trifexis is poison! My dogs all wear the Only Natural Pet EasyDefense Flea & Tick Tag.
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-EasyDe fense-Flea-Tick-Tag/999024.aspx

It works absolutely wonderfully! If you would rather use a spot-on treatment, I recommend Only Natural Pet Herbal Defense Squeeze-On Dog Flea Control.
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-He rbal-Defense-Squeeze-On-Dog-Flea-Control/999522.aspx

I would never, ever, EVER recommend using Trifexis. Please learn about the dangers of giving your dog pesticides. They are incredibly dangerous and I would never, ever put them in my dogs’ bodies. I only use natural options. If you are interested in a powder, I recommend trying Only Natural Pet All-in-One Flea Remedy.
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Only-Natural-Pet-All -in-One-Flea-Remedy/999013.aspx

Giving a daily brewer’s yeast and garlic supplement can help with flea control, too.
[notify]
Hamlet

Longdog- Silverpaws

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 2:16pm PST 
I'm... not really sure how to reply to that. Thank you for your feedback.

I just picked Ham up from the vet - he got neutered today. I was recommended Advantage Multi, but I remember reading on the forums somewhere that it, too, is "poison."

I'm getting really stressed out over this. I can either buy a six-month combo of Comfortis and Heartgard, purchase Advantage Multi from the vet, or use an all-natural option that I've never heard of.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2