GO!

Mosquito Bites or Hives?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Geordi

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 9:32am PST 
About a week ago a few small bumps showed up on my dogs head. He was scratching them and I looked closely and I didn't see any redness. I figured they were probably mosquito bites, but a week later they haven't gone away and at least a couple dozen more have popped up elsewhere on his body - mostly on his back and sides of his ribcage. Some of them are reddish in color and some of them aren't.

We have a field behind our apartment that he does his business in and there are some swampy areas and long grass/weeds, so I feel like mosquitos are a huge possibility, but I think its strange that they're not going away. I've been trying to keep him from scratching and have been putting aloe vera on them. We're going to keep him out of the field for a while and see if that helps. How do I know if it's hives or not, though? Are they any different in appearance than mosquito bites?

Thanks so much for your help!
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 3:19pm PST 
You can try giving him some benadryl and see if that helps. I don't know how much you can give him because he's smaller than my dogs. You can call your vet and ask how much.
[notify]
Geordi

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 2:28pm PST 
They cleared up quite a bit after about a week, although there were still some bumps on the back of his head that weren't getting any smaller at all. A few days ago, however, they just simply reappeared, dozens of small bumps all over his neck, back, and sides. He had just eaten and been outside, but both his meal and where he went were the exact same as they are every day.

I have been giving him benadryl for a couple of days now and he doesn't seem to be improving, it's also not getting any worse though. The suddenness with which they appeared this last time tells me it can't be mosquito bites, but the benadryl isn't helping either.

I'm not sure what to do. He really hasn't had any food or environment changes lately. I know some allergies are developed over time, should I try and elimination diet first to see if it's food related? Thankfully he doesn't seem to be suffering. He is itchy, but it doesn't seem too terrible.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 5:13am PST 
In all honesty,I would take Geordi to the vet and let them see what is going on. There are several different types of skin infections that can also present with just small bumps and your vet can best determine what the problem really is and how to treat it.wishes
[notify]