GO!

Need reassurance... I hope I'm not making a bad decision

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 37)  
1  2  3  4  
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 2:36pm PST 
Thanks for the advice and comments, everyone. I think I've made my decision... and that is to go through with the neuter.

My reason for deciding is... I feel like the behaviors, however minor (I mean it's not like we've got a compulsive humper, or like he's marking indoors or anything, but still...) are nonetheless creating bumps in our relationship, and even if they don't 100% go away, I have decided I'm willing to take the chance that the things like urine licking/lip smacking, obsessive sniffing, and particularly the bullying other dogs will at least be reduced to some extent.

I've been worried about how it would effect his health, but through research it sounds like weakness in bones and joints, ACL tears, thyroid problems, etc. are really a bigger concern for dogs who were neutered too early... So in other words: not a big deal for dogs who were neutered post-maturity.

...So his appointment remains for Tuesday.

... But I do hope I can tell the vet not to shave his entire leg. As shallow as it may seem, I don't want them messing up his lovely feathering. laugh out loud When Ava got spayed they just shaved a teeny patch, just big enough to fit her with the IV for the surgery. Hoping this vet (which is a different one) to do the same tiny shave for Nix.

Edited by author Fri May 3, '13 2:37pm PST

[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 3:37pm PST 
Good luck! way to go
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 4:32pm PST 
OMG I hear you on the shaving! When Nare has his blood taken they shave his WHOLE leg. He has these little chicken legs and it drives me nuts, plus the fur takes forever to grow back..
Hopefully they'll have some impulse control shaving him.
May Nix have a speedy recovery and these little bumps smooth out.
[notify]

Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Mon May 6, '13 6:52pm PST 
I'm a little late to this post! Good luck tomorrow!!

I remember the first appointment I had for Kip to get neutered, I canceled beforehand. And on the rescheduled date, I practically had a panic attack and had to gather myself in the bathroom of the office- I nearly canceled the appointment that day too- I was so nervous it was the wrong decision!

Honestly I beat myself up a bit over it, wondering if I made the "right" choice or not afterwards... but it's been nearly a year since Kip was neutered and I don't really doubt the decision anymore. His personality didn't change at all- he's still my playful goofball clingy mama's boy! Plus he doesn't mark at all, and he never had any complications from the surgery or gained any weight big grin

It's scary though, since it is altering you're dog's make-up and there's no going back! But make the best choice you can based on your circumstances- that's all you can do. And definitely ask the vet to only shave a tiny part of his paw, Kip's fringe took FOREVER to grow back!!

Let us know how it goes hug
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 8:39am PST 
Well, in the end I couldn't bare to go through with it, and cancelled the appointment very last-minute... I was crying at the office and everything... The tech was very understanding. She tried to ease my worries by saying how it doesn't change them, and being that he's fully grown the negative effects of neutering too soon obviously don't apply to him; but she said also that it's something I need to feel 100% about, because there IS no going back. Once they snip 'em off, they're gone. They can't just glue his balls back on if I don't like the results.

At another time I may seriously consider it again, but as it stands now I want to do my best to work through his behaviors with him remaining intact. Like I said in an earlier post, they're minor things for the most part, anyways. The bullying is the worst of it, but it's not even aggression--it's just him being a jerkwad and pushing his boundaries with other dogs. It's manageable. As are the other behaviors that irritate me.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 7:55pm PST 
hughughug
[notify]
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 8:56pm PST 
That sounds like it was so stressful!! And like I said, I know that feeling hug But it's better to delay if you aren't sure (or at least mostly sure) than to go through and not have a way back!

Dogs can be neutered at any time... but they can never be UN-neutered. smile You still have plenty of time to decide more surely on what you think would be best meditate
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 37)  
1  2  3  4