GO!

Boxer Chronic Vomitting

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 8:25pm PST 
I have a two year old Boxer/American Bull Dog mix, Addey. We have had a lot of issues with her vomiting...and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced any issues like this. What has worked for you? What hasn't?

The vomiting started about a year ago and ever since, her vomiting has been very weird. We have had her one 5 or 6 different dog foods, from Diamond, Iams, to Nature's Recipe Grain Free. When we put her on the grain free food, she stopped vomiting for about two to three months....the longest she has gone without vomiting, However, it came back. When she throws up, it is partly digested food and bile. She typically throws up during the evening hours. She is very weird about eating as well. Sometimes she will eat her food and other times, she will not. We know that it isn't a bad batch of dog food because we have three other dogs on this food as well. The other day, after about three weeks of vomiting, I decided to give her wet dog food. So, I have her two tubs of Rachel Ray Nutrish wet dog food and her normal amount of dog food (she is losing weight) and she scarfed it down. The next morning and evening, we did 1 tub of food and regular amount of normal dog food. She hasn't thrown up since...and that was four days ago.

For the past six months, she has been given a walzan everyday, the vet thinking that maybe it's acid reflux....doesn't really work.

Not really sure where to go from here....vet recommends a scope of her insides. The vomitting isn't really an issue for us...we can clean it up. The issue is that she loses weight. And as a high energy boxer, she doesn't have any weight to lose!!

Thanks in advance for any advice/experiences you share! They are GREATLY appreciated!

~Amy & Addey
[notify]
Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 9:37pm PST 
aw I am sorry your pup isn't feeling well. I think I would take your vets advice, as based on your dog losing weight, and the foods you have tried, a scope or biopsy might be in order.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 6:21pm PST 
Does she eat really fast? Does she choke at all when eating or appear to have any trouble swallowing?
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 11:25am PST 
Yes, she does eat very fast. However, we bought a bowl that has the raised center to slower her down. We have also just thrown the food all over the bottom of her cage so that when she tries to eat it, it moves and makes her eat slower. Doesn't seem to help at all. She doesn't choke though, she just inhales her food, lol. I don't think this is causing the vomiting, though. She has done it ever since she was a pup and the vomiting started a year ago. Also, if her eating too fast was causing the issue, wouldn't she vomit close after she ate? When she vomits, it is at least 4-5 hours AFTER she eats...?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 1:08pm PST 
Has she had any blood work done? Usually serious digestive trouble includes diarrhea too, how is the stool usually?

I would continue trying to slow down her eating and keeping the food wet. I would treat this as an allergic reaction and try a simple kibble with some wet food that matches. Feeding 3x a day might help too if she really is too skinny. A dog of her age and breeding is should look thin until she has developed her muscling.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 3:23pm PST 
You said she vomits up undigested food hours later, does she get diarrhea at all?
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 10:34pm PST 
I do not believe she has had blood work done. Is that something you recommend?

Stools are typically fine. She has gotten really bad diarrhea a few Times.....but it was 9+ months ago. She has terrible gas....all the time....bad enough to clear a room. Always been a gassy dog.

I gave her wet and dry food a few days ago and that was the day she quit vomitting......not sure if the wet food helped or was just a coinsidence.
[notify]

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 4:01am PST 
I would get the blood work done and ask about Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency.
If she doesn't have that then, not sure if it's the same, but Kali had/has similar symptoms. I couldn't understand how food could stay in her so long and come out undigested. We never figured out exactly what she has but, with several changes in her food (over the coarse of many years) to something she can tolerate, did the trick, at least so far (she's been healthy a year now, finally). If the wet food works, stick with it. If her symptoms come back, then the hunt for another food might be in order. The only thing the vet says is that's it's some kind of mal-absorbtion issue. I have her on Prozyme digestive enzymes 2x a day. I feed her 2 smaller meals a day. I've tried just about every food on the market. I mix home cooked with dog food (z/d, which I know is not a good food, but it's all she can tolerate). I boil skinless, boneless chicken breast, with sweet potatoes and white rice. It all goes in the blender and I soak it in water enough to make it a mush. I hope that helps. There's nothing worse than watching your dog wither away when you are trying everything you know to make them healthy. Good Luck and keep us posted. Oh, by the way, Kali went from 83 pounds to 106 on the food I have her on now. smile
[notify]

Barked: Sat May 4, '13 3:00pm PST 
When Kali would vomit, was it right after eating? Or 5-6 hours later? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what did her vomit look like? Did you have any issues where if she drank too much water, she would throw up?

We actually have a friend who has one of Addey's brothers. She said that their dog died a few months ago. She said he was burping a lot and one morning when she went to let him out of his cage, he was dead. They thought it was some type of undiagnosed digestive issue. They didn't see any signs of anything wrong with him. We are both extremely worried about Addey now.
[notify]

Barked: Sat May 4, '13 5:04pm PST 
I am going to call our vet first thing Monday morning. I'm definitely wanting the EPI tests ran....Are there any other tests that you would suggest running?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3