GO!

running around like she saw a ghost?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 7:28pm PST 
Sometimes Lily scurries around the house like something is chasing her. She will scurry around the room then hide in her crate for a few minutes or so before scurrying off upstairs to hide in our bedroom. I was wondering if this was probably just anxiety or a if it could be a symptom of something more.
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 9:33pm PST 
Does she appear frightened when she does this? Or do you think it might be a play style? thinking

I've never observed this behavior in my dogs, but I have seen my past cats do this in play, as well as my current rabbit,also in play(but for opposite reasons as a cat!). The cats would do run like mad to a hiding spot, watch for someone to walk by and jump out at them, or if no one came by, would run like mad to another spot and do the same thing. My current rabbit will just be sitting there calmly and suddenly will dart into his cage, wait a moment, dart to the empty bottom bookshelf, then dart under my chair, he will occasionally do a binky(hop straight in the air) while darting. It's a fun game.

Just observe her body language and see if she appears to be playing a game or appears scared of something(there may be a new noise she is hearing). Or gently rub your hands over her body and see if she flinches if you touch her somewhere. If she's uncomfortable, she may be looking for a space where she feels comfortable but can't find it. thinking
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 10:32pm PST 
She looks afraid and if I talk to her or try to coax her over she will act kind of skittish around me.
[notify]

Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 3:09am PST 
When did she start doing this? Is this a new behavior? I ask because Princesse acts exactly like this when she needs her anal glands emptiedthinking
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 7:53am PST 
It's not a new behavior, she's always done it. She does it every once in a while, sometimes it will be months before she does it again and sometimes it will be days before she does it again.

Edited by author Thu Apr 25, '13 7:57am PST

[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 9:10am PST 
Moose is like that when there's a fly in the house. Usually a really large fly. But, the first time he exhibited the behavior, I had no idea what was causing it. It took me seeing him react to the fly's buzzing sound to realize that he wasn't going crazy. He was just afraid and hiding from it.

I'm hoping I can avoid any big flies getting in to the house because the last time it happened, Moose was freaking out. I couldn't get him to come back into the house after a short walk. I had to use every ounce of strength I had to pull him into the house and once he was in, he wouldn't come into the living room where I was sitting.

Could this be something similar for Lily?
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 2:57pm PST 
Hmm, strange one...

If she is definitely scared, I would try a different approach than coaxing her out with your voice.

Does she like cheese? Cheese is great because it is super smelly to a dog puppy When she exhibits the behaviour I would try to engage her nose with a high value treat to get her to come towards you rather than run and hide so that eventually, when she has these skittish moments, she will come to you rather than her crate puppy

It's always worth a try shrug
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 9:04pm PST 
I've seen her freak out from flies in the house but when there is a fly she will also try to catch it before running away and hiding. When she did it last night and this afternoon there was no fly.

She gets more on edge if we try to distract her or calm her down.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 3:34am PST 
Maybe she is reacting to a sound you can't hear? or a smell or something. shrug
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 7:57am PST 
What Fritz said. That is what I'm thinking. Try and see if there is any link between appliances or plumbing and her skittish behavior. If you highly suspect appliances, you could try and shut off your electricity while she is panicking. If she is mostly fine after you shut it off, it could be a sound she is hearing.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2