GO!

Its always Arkane..

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 8:10am PST 
That doesn't seem right. Any dog who has contracted Lyme disease won't show symptoms until after several months or so. I'm not exactly sure when the symptoms would appear but I'm 100% certain signs won't show up in several days. I would rather you ask for another vet's opinion and take another Lyme test. Snap testing would be the most accurate diagnostic test for identifying the presence of Borrelia burgdorferi bacterium infection. Plus, this test is easy to perform and there would only be less amounts of blood needed.
[notify]
Arkane

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 10:04am PST 
Ok so I should stop the Doxy?
I'm going to look for a different vet-- we've been to all the ones in my area lol..

Still having trouble getting him to eat though : he'll eat tuna / handful of cat food / ~2oz of chicken breast. He eats while laying down and you can hear his stomach make lots of sounds.
I wouldn't mind if whatever he ate made a solid poo..
Its light brown diarrhea, almost yellow. (For those raw feeders, it looks like the kind you get with no much bone. but he hasnt had bone in a week)
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 1:17pm PST 
Those eating and diarrhea issues are classic issues with Doxy. If he were mine, based on the negative Lyme test AND the fact that he couldn't possibly get it within 48 hours I would definitely stop the Doxy.
[notify]

Arkane

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 4:31pm PST 
He had the issues for 2 days prior of the doxy though. ): He got bit by the tick in the AM and by PM he wasn't eating (nor pooping). The next day he didn't poop until the PM and would only eat a handful of cheerios at a time, was vomiting water. Took him to the vets that night and posted this thread the next day (where he started eating little bits of lunch meat).
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 5:55pm PST 
Can't possibly be from that tick. I'm still going with pano. That will also affect eating.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 6:21am PST 
I would continue the doxy until you get a second opinion. A lot of opinions going on here, but until you see another vet, I wouldn't discontinue (unless you feel it's making your dog more sick). I know doxycline is very expensive now too. Hopefully another vet can give you more answers. I think you said it...you don't really trust your vet and for us, that is really important. Good luck

Edited by author Mon Apr 22, '13 6:22am PST

[notify]
Arkane

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 4:40pm PST 
I stopped the Doxy last night and he was doing really well today (posted a video of him running around in the Puppy Section-- I was having to carry him outside to potty because he wouldn't come out of his crate).
We went to a new vets today (who I absolutely adore, they're a Dobe breeder and do amazing crops + support raw food. but they're a 2 hour drive away) and they took a stool sample and saw some blood in it. They think he has Giardia (again) so tested for that and sent it off to a lab and will be called either tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

She prescribed 24 days worth of Metrosomething, & told me to do 12 days with panacur, then wait ~5 days and do another round of metro. Made me happy cause then I don't have to drive back out there again.

If its Giardia, how in the hell do I get rid of it? )): it was gone, or atleast I thought so. He was having normal stool up until last week and I just can't think of where he would've gotten it this time around (when he first got it he was a poop eater and thats what I thought it was).
Is this going to be an on going battle?
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 1:23am PST 
Giardia is water borne (at least out here)

Where does your water come from? Is there anywhere he could have been drinking run off? Could he have taken a slurp out of a gutter/pond/creek? Somewhere where the water isn't treated or filtered?
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2