GO!

Need Patella Info!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2  
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 3:42pm PST 
Taggert has LP in his right knee. It's really irritating for him when he gets to a trot, he will often just lift that leg and hop with the other one until we either slow down to a walk, or break into a full run, at which point he has no trouble. He is very sensitive about people messing with his knee. It doesn't seem to be affecting his jumping ability, and most of the time, nobody notices. I had to point it out to the vet before she saw enough of his gait to actually feel for it.

The only other time that it gets to being an issue is when he goes pee. He does this confused stretch/squat/lift and if you watch his knee you can see all the tendons and muscles shift as that patella pops out of place. It hasn't caught yet, but I have a feeling one day it's not going to slip back.

Their food has glucosamine in it right now, otherwise I get supplements for him, and he does ok. I think unless the dog is severely crippled by the luxation, they will be fine
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 3:50pm PST 
My patellas slip easily, at least when the vet checked them they did. Our vet recommended against surgery unless it starts to bother me. However, I have never cried out. I have got a leg stuck for a few strides but it hasn't stopped me from running like a rabbit and jumping like a giant flea.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 3:54pm PST 
Ah....you see Taggert, that is what I was talking about. I don't have a lot of familiarity with toy breeds, but from my toy breed fancy people have been told they can be funky about stepping on wet grass or mud. So when he was sniffing readying to pee, lifting up his hindleg....that's what I assumed. I still can't say why he does it, but I am now thinking the behavior links to the LP, rather than worrying about getting his pawsies wet. Perhaps anticipating and protecting his leg? Just guessing here, but to this stage it has been a quirky behavior, and now I am thinking it might be related. It doesn't slow him down....he will play like a bouncing ball until he drops dead, and is not the slightest intimidated by way larger dogs. In his last placement, he was living with a couple of Bullmastiffs, and with the female they played like nuts all the time.
[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 3:58pm PST 
Is it possible when his leg brushed my foot that counter pressure popped it out, I wonder? Obviously if so it's back in place now. I wonder as I know this dog like a book by now. He drives me nuts but he is no wimp....he's just a brassy dog. Whatever it was last night hurt like a SOB and scared him. He is at heart a very good sport.
[notify]
Garnet

TNT comes in- small packages

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 7:28am PST 
Our little Garnet was diagnosed by our vet with a mild LP which he found out after an x-ray was due to a broken frontal portion of her tibial head. He said that unless she gets to where she has trouble walking on that leg or she starts to cry when walking or running and playing he is just going to leave it alone and let her be.
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Sun Apr 7, '13 7:38am PST 
I went to the vet yesterday for my shots,heart worm test and a check up. My left patella is almost a 2. It slips out easily but goes back in. Our vet said that unless I start limping or showing signs of distress, I shouldn't think of surgery. He said anytime one goes into the joint capsule, there is a chance of arthritis or other problems. He said if I started crying out, limping or it starts to affect my movement, we would reconsider.

Good luck.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 16)  
1  2