GO!

Need Patella Info!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 10:15am PST 
My Maltese foster had an incident last night that leads me highly suspicious of a patella problem. All is back to fine now, but the intricacy here is he has an adoption about to close. They are just waiting for us to bring him. This is more of a small breed thing, so not really my stomping grounds wink I am looking for sense of some long term forecast, how typical surgery is and is not. Just so I can start to discuss with the potential adopter as to what they may be looking at?
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 12:36pm PST 
Two of my fosters had patella issues. Low grade, surgery not recommended. I told adopters to keep them slim and active and warned them they might get artritis as they age. shrug You really need a vet to tell you what grade it is before you know what to do. Both of my fosters would just hop every now & then when the knee cap moved out of place, they'd do a little hop or stretch to get it back and kept go go going.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 2:20pm PST 
Tiller, I answered this THREE times and Dogster WILL NOT ACCEPT my post for some reason, says it is G rated. Trust me, it is NOT!!!
I will pmail you the exact same post, see if you can find anything unacceptable!!

Edited by author Tue Apr 2, '13 2:23pm PST

[notify]

Saige

I wag my butt!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 2:32pm PST 
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/01/11/ recognising-floating-knee-caps-in-pet-dogs.aspx

This is essentially the plan that I'm following with Saige to avoid surgery and she's been happy and active for nearly 3 years now. Unless it's a high enough grade that it's affecting their ability to move, it can be managed well without surgery.

I've been told that the dog will eventually develop arthritis with or without surgery, so don't let that be a deciding factor when deciding on treatment.

Edited by author Tue Apr 2, '13 2:35pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 2:53pm PST 
Ok....here is Toto's post. I am trying! lol

"My experience has been the same as Jewel, BUT, none of these dogs ever had any arthritis issues as they aged (Frenchies, one was 15, other two were 10 & 13 when we lost them).
However, in all the ones I've had so far the vets really needed to use some force to make the knee cap slip under exam.
Beanie is supposedly a grade 3/4, but I have NEVER seen any issues with him and he is now six.
I know lots of what I consider pretty severe dogs that I have issues with when grooming (the knee is slipping and popping constantly), yet these dogs live normal lives and apparently most vets up here do not recommend the surgery unless the knee cap is pretty much out constantly.

I've only known two who had surgery, both tiny yorkies, and both had MORE issues with pain and walking AFTER the surgery than they did before. In one case people went to an *****expert***** over the local vet, and the other owner insisted my vet do the surgery although he wasn't recommending it."

*****I have replaced "expert" with the word Toto used, which can be found HERE, found as the second word in this movie's title.

What....on...EARTH! big laugh

Edited by author Tue Apr 2, '13 2:54pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 2:57pm PST 
And thanks for the info, Toto! Why that word is barred is way, way beyond my comprehension. It has to be a glitch, but whoever wants to type it in and try - you get blocked.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 3:04pm PST 
Now in terms of Ding, I have had adopters report intermittent lameness, but in amongst a bevy of complaints, so it's not as if I took it seriously. Sometimes when walked, he lifts a hind leg up when sniffing....I thought that was him just being toy-ish. Sorry....big breed elitism big laugh Last night, however, when let out of crate trotting by his hindleg brushed my sneaker. He yelped in pain seriously for one minute. I got him calmed and he was a good sport but opted to keep his leg raised for a half hour, then started bouncing around like his normal nutball self and was back to normal. That sounds LP-ish to me?

Right now, I am just trying to source from his potential adopter how they feel about LP and if it is a deal breaker. And from there can get the grade assessed, but I wouldn't imagine it is a severe grade. His most recent past adopter was a groomer. I talked to her today and she said he liked it least when she handled his hindlegs, but that she didn't observe anything too particular. I will examine him tonight, but barely know what to look for shrug Sorry, I am a newbie with this laugh out loud
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 3:17pm PST 
WOW... I wasn't even close to finding that word!!!!!! That is a word used OFTEN in Dogster posts, as well.
Lori is trying to decipher it as well, maybe she will have a reason????

Anyway, I disagree with the post concerning the arthritis... I believe is may result from luxating patella, but probably won't since the patella sliding in and out of the grove really doesn't cause wear and tear...it just slips out of a too shallow grove, it's not even a weight bearing issue. And, in those I've known that were older they did NOT have any issue with arthritis, but ALL those that have the surgery reputably DO have arthritis develop.

Edited by author Tue Apr 2, '13 3:22pm PST

[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 3:18pm PST 
Neither of mine (both adult female chis) never did anything as dramatic as that. And never minded me touching their legs while cuddling. Sometimes they'd hold a leg up while sniffing but that's NOT a small dog thing, neither Jewel nor the dozen or so small dogs my friends own without patella issues do that.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 3:41pm PST 
Pretty bizarre, Toto! But that is def the word that was getting you fouled shrug

Do you know "why" surgery would in time equate with arthritis with this issue? This Maltese is a renegade player....just a happy bouncing ball who if adopted is going to be a playmate with a Yorkie. Would this condition be more of a concern with a dog like that?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2