GO!

Icecubes Bad for Dogs????

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dozer

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 1:44pm PST 
Hey, I recently heard that icecubes are bad for dogs to eat because they cause heart flutters or something like that. The person who told me this said that his vet told him that... Does this sound accurate?? Dozer's favourite treat is icecubes and I was always gung-ho about giving them to him because they are free, no calorie, no fat, all natural, organic (party) but now I am a little worried that I am actually harming him, any input??
[notify]
Dozer

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 1:45pm PST 
PS he eats snow and ice all the time outside too...
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 2:27pm PST 
jake likes ice chips just fine. He licks them and chases them around on the floor.

My vet tells me to give the pups ice chips after doggy daycare and if they've been super excited and will want to gulp water. (i'm guessing it's to prevent bloating)shrug

But i don't think it's that bad for them.
[notify]

Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 5:35pm PST 
Koby also loves ice cubes. I've never heard of that before. We're all animals, so should we stay away from ice cream and snow cones? thinking
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 5:41pm PST 
Ice cubes are Clyde's favorite snack. He has probably eaten thousands of them over the course of his life, since he gets one or two every day... No heart problems so far at age 5. smile
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 5:53pm PST 
I imagine in theory they could crack their enamel, the reason why the dentist tells people not to chew ice, but on the other hand Callie has a blast chasing them around with no problem, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 4:39am PST 
There has been some evidence (although I'm not sure what) to say that they should not be given to dogs that are overheating. I've heard it can cause a stomach spasm that can potentially lead to bloat.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 6:56am PST 
I give my dogs ice all the time. In the summer I freeze large bowls of ice and they have a blast batting them around the yard, licking, chewing and laying on them. I also make chicken broth ice cubes for them. I suppose any number of things COULD be bad for any number of reasons. But then potato chips could cause cancer too and I am not about to stop eating themlaugh out loud
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 11:36am PST 
Apparently, from what I read, ice cubes are in and of themselves okay since the dog doesn't/can't ingest lots at one time, assuming your dog isn't just gobbling them down. The serious stomach issues are from ice water, and apparently can be quite serious, especially if the dog is overheated. Supposedly, stomach spasm/cramping can lead to torsion, which is when the stomach twists, usually related to bloat.
From what I read, this is the ONLY definitive cause of torsion positively identified so far. Other reasons are pretty much unknown.
It is not a risk I want to take, so I give mine one or two small ice cubes only at a time.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 1:25pm PST 
I've heard that ice water is bad for overheated dogs due to bloat risk too. Also because the extreme cold can cause blood vessels to constrict, which reduces circulation and can make it harder to cool the dog - as well as leading to other potentially serious complications. Best to use cool, not cold water and compresses on overheated dogs.

In terms of a treat, I think ice is fine. HOWEVER... Whole, from-the-tray ice cubes are the perfect size to choke on. NBD for people, but dogs don't understand the concepts of ice, freezing and melting points, liquids and solids. I personally know dogs who have choked on ice. None have died, but one suffered brain damage from oxygen deprivation.

With that in mind, when my dogs get ice it's either a pile of chips to play in, or too big to fit in their mouth. There are a growing number of dog toys you can fill and freeze, or you can find an appropriate container and DIY.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2