GO!

Rash on stomach. Food allergy or something else?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Chewy

Tall,Dark, and,- Handsome

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 4:23pm PST 
Hi all,

Chewy has had a dark rash on his stomach between his legs for a long time. It has never really bothered him and our old vet said it could have been from his skin rubbing or from getting scratched another dog while playing. Obviously the rash is still around, so I don't think it was either of those.

But my parents never thought anything of it because of the old vet. Our new vet has not yet seen the rash.

It's really never bothered him before, or maybe I never really noticed. Now he seems to be licking it more often. I used to think he was cleaning himself, but now I'm observing him more he's actually licking the rash area.

I've been doing some research and I'm wondering if it could be a food allergy?

He's always been on some kind of Chicken and Rice food. Right now he's on the Kirkland Chicken and Rice, which he's been on for over a year. I also want to add whenever we have given him eggs in the past, cooked or raw he throws up, so I'm thinking he could be allergic to eggs? I also read there is egg product in the food. After doing some more research I saw that some dogs who are having bad reactions to eggs can also be allergic to chicken and other types of birds as well. I only read a few threads, I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I've been watching him and today after he ate, he came in my room laid down and started licking his rash. I also noticed he was panting a bit and had some drool around his mouth. He's done this consistently after he eats his food in the few days I've been observing. He will lay down and sleep, but then he lifts his head and just pants for a minute and then either licks the rash or goes to sleep.Later in the day or he'll lick the rash, but not really as much. I've checked his arm pits and paws for any type of rash or irritation also, but didn't find anything. It only seems to be his belly area.

I've heard a little about an elimination diet, but haven't done any research yet. Is it okay to follow the steps to one of those here at home or should I wait until he is actually seen by the vet.

I'm hoping to get him into the vet soon, but now everyone is sick except for me. Mom has been going back and forth to doctors and we've been having family coming to stay with us back and forth. I'm going to see if my dad can take him with me sometime this week.

Thanks for any tips and advice. I will try to take a picture of the rash so you can see it.

EDIT- Here's the ingredients to his food

Kikrland Food Ingredients
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and Vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Edited by author Mon Mar 25, '13 4:45pm PST

[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 7:59pm PST 
My vet says the 2 most common good allergies r chicken and grain. So u may try a grain free diet with no chicken . If it is a chicken allergy avoid all poultry and eggs no turkey no duck etc. You need 2 weeks on a new food at least to notice a difference. My dog is allergic to both chicken and grain.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 7:59pm PST 
My vet says the 2 most common good allergies r chicken and grain. So u may try a grain free diet with no chicken . If it is a chicken allergy avoid all poultry and eggs no turkey no duck etc. You need 2 weeks on a new food at least to notice a difference. My dog is allergic to both chicken and grain.
[notify]

Chewy

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 9:05pm PST 
Thank you for the response.

May I ask what kind of reaction your dog had to chicken and grains? I've read dogs can have all kinds of different reactions, but it could possibly help.

There is a new pet store near by with all kinds of good quality and grain free foods. Maybe I can talk my mom into letting me get him a bag of a no poultry/no grain food and see if it helps him. We were thinking about switching foods to something better anyways.

Edited by author Mon Mar 25, '13 9:06pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 12:49am PST 
If you're thinking that your dog is allergic to chicken, you might really want to consider the advice mentioned by the previous poster. Then closely observe if your dog would still salivate or lick his rashes after a few days. (I know it won't be an instant observation.) If that doesn't work, maybe you should go see another vet for a second opinion.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 12:37pm PST 
Sandy had vomiting and diarrhea but most food allergies in dogs present as skin problems so chicken or grain could likely be the culprit. If its an environmental allergy u can't really do much about it except move lol so its worth a shot with the food trial.
[notify]
Chewy

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 6:51pm PST 
I going to try to get him on a grain free no poultry diet as soon as I can to see if it is a food allergy.

I watched him this morning after he ate and he was fine, but when I fed him this afternoon he started licking his rash and panting.

Edited by author Tue Mar 26, '13 7:04pm PST

[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 5:56pm PST 
I say its worth a shot, just make sure no chicken fat is used as a preservative! Read very carefully and make sure there is no eggs. Sandy really loves venison or fish.
[notify]