GO!

Listerine for ears?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 12:43pm PST 
So my dog has a problem with ear infections. He gets them maybe once or twice a year without fail. I’ve tried everything the vet has recommended. I clean his ears weekly. I usually use a store-bought ear cleaning formula, but I’ve also tried a white vinegar/water mix. Nothing has ever made a difference, but I’m always looking for new solutions.

My dad told me about a friend of his whose dog had an ear infection. They were using the plain gold colored Listerine to treat it and the infection was going away. He said they started by just putting the Listerine on a cotton ball and wiping the ear but when they noticed it was helping they began dropping a few drops into his ear canal and the infection cleared right up. He also said that this dog was deaf to begin with so they weren’t concerned about any potential side effects to his hearing.

I’ve googled Listerine and found mixed comments on the web. Some people said it worked like a charm for both cleaning ears and treating infection while others advised against it. I’m wondering what you all think? Does anyone here have experience with this? Capone’s ears are looking good at the moment, but I’m wondering if I should start using the Listerine as his regular ear cleaner to help avoid future infections. Or if it does work, should it only be used as a treatment when he has an infection? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 1:01pm PST 
Personally I wouldn't use listerine. When I had a Golden prone to ear infections I used the "purple power solution" which is a homemade mixture that a lot of Lab and Golden owners recommended. She always had gunky ears and got infections, it seemed to help with less infections. The only thing that helped with the gunky ears was switching her to better food, even though she didn't have any actual allergies.
Recently I had a cat with minor ear issues, she had a few infections previously but even though she didnt have any infection or mites the kept having a lot of ear gunk even though I kept cleaning her ears often. I got Vetericyn Otic Wash from my vet and it helped a lot. After I used the Vetericyn regularly for a little while she stopped getting the buildup, even after I stopped the Vetericyn.
The Vetericyn says it is good for infections too.

Edited by author Wed Feb 27, '13 1:05pm PST

[notify]
Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 7:02am PST 
Thanks, Ginger! I looked up the purple stuff you mentioned and I may try that if nothing else works. I am currently experimenting with his food due to mild allergies. So if I find a food that helps with his skin and also his ears that would be great. big grin
[notify]