GO!

9 days post neuter and red incision, HELP!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 9:29pm PST 
I adopted a 3 y/o boxer from a shelter on 2/15 and he was neutered the same day. The shelter didn't send us home with any pain meds so the next day we went to the vet and got some along with antibiotics. He's had an issue with licking and created a hotspot next to the incision and caused it to be red as well. We got the ProCollar, hydrocortisone cream, and neosporin and did that for 2 days. I went back to the vet on 2/22 because I was still worried that the incision was red. The vet said it looks fine and gave Animax ointment. I've been putting that on 3x a day and the redness is stable. We let him play longer yesterday and today the incision is pretty red. I'm so worried since it's been 9 days since the surgery, he's been on antibiotics the whole time as well and antibiotic ointment and it still won't heal. I know he has been able to snag a lick a couple times when we aren't looking, but I just don't know what to do.
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 12:03am PST 
he's due to go back tomorrow for stitch removal, right? Ask the vet then
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 9:15am PST 
No, he has dissolving stitches on the inside and glue on the outside
[notify]