GO!

Hernia after surgery

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Stryder

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 5:54pm PST 
Stryder had surgery 3 weeks ago to remove a tumor and popped a couple internal stitches and caused a hernia. They went back and fixed it a week ago, now tonight I noticed the bulge is back. He's having prostate problems and really has to strain to pee. Can this have caused him to pop his stitches again or perhaps both times?
We have been as careful as we can with him lifting him up and down off of furniture and he's been in a cone since the surgery.
[notify]
Madison- Ainsley

I- ammmmm....Hoooow- ie Girl!

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 8:39pm PST 
I would definately take him back to the Vet as soon as you can. You stated that he is having prostrate problems, is this what the surgery was for?
If he is straining he could certainly cause the internal sutures to break and cause a hernia.
Is he having a reaction to the sutures, quite a few dogs as well as humans can have adverse reactions to sutures causing irritation, swelling, infection as well as the sutures not being as strong as needed.
I hope he feels better soon.
[notify]