GO!

Ate tampon -- when do we go to the vet?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 10:17am PST 
Don't ask me how but he got himself into a box of tampons and ate one when I wasn't looking. What am I looking for and for how many hours could this present a health problem?

Thanks.
[notify]
Hoss

Hoss the Boss

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 10:25am PST 
Wow, I just googled this and it seems to be quite common. There are various answers. It seems to depend on the size of the dog and if he chewed it up in pieces or swallowed it whole. I would still call your vet and see what they suggest.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:07am PST 
You should be fine. They normally will pass. I had a pug growing up who ate one. She had a string sticking out of her butt. We did not know what it was, so we took her to the vet. The vet pulled it out and it was a tampon. He laughed and said dogs often eat them.

This was not the first time this dog ate a tampon. The other times we just pulled them out ourselves. You might see a string sticking out your dog's bottom or part of the tampon. You can pull them out. I would use gloves or paper towels.

Keep your tampons out of your dog's reach and keep the bathroom door closed. They are not deadly to your dog, they are just cotton and string. I really think your dog will be just find.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:20am PST 
My friends Chessie died from a blockage from ingesting a tampon. He was vomiting, had diarrhea and the vet said it was fine. By the time they found another vet and did some barium xrays his intestines were dead from lack of blood supply and he did not survive the emergency surgery. It was only three days from when he ate it until he died.
I would certainly call my vet for any advice they might offer, and definitely keep a close eye on him, get him in with the FIRST sign of vomiting and insist on a contrast medium xray.
Good luck!!
[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:52am PST 
As Toto stated, this can be very serious (they usually do not pass on their own as they absorb fluids and become much larger than when swallowed) and you should contact your vet so they can monitor what is going on.
I also do not recommend ever pulling on anything that is sticking out of your dog's butt. This can cause serious medical problems, including rectal prolapse. If your dog cannot naturally expel something, you should take him to the vet and never, ever try to pull it out on your own.

Edited by author Mon Feb 18, '13 11:54am PST

[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 2:35pm PST 
Thank you everyone for your comments. I'll call his vet today. So far everything seems normal, still eating, playing, drinking, no vomitting.

You know when I might start to see signs of problems?
[notify]
Maggie

Wishing For Snow

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 8:16pm PST 
When you see problems really depends on many factors. It the tampon was just ripped or chewed apart before being swallowed, it will most likely pass with no issue. If it was swallowed whole, you could start to see symptoms of a blockage (vomiting, loose stools, depression) within 48-72 hours depending on where the blockage occurs. My dogs have swallowed things (never tampons) and they have stayed in the stomach for up to 2 weeks before being vomited back out. I would say if you don't see any signs of a problem within a week, you will be fine.
[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 8:45pm PST 
Ditto Maggie. I have seen a few terrible obstructions caused by dogs eating tampax and kotex. The problem is that they are made to absorb liquids so as they are trying to pass through the digestive system they are absorbing fluids within the system and eventually getting stuck. Of course they can pass right through so IMHO I would keep an extremely good eye on your pup, or to be on the safe side maybe take him to the vet and snap a few xrays, certainly cannot hurt.
Watch for any vomiting, lethargy, not wanting to eat, anything out of the ordinary for your pup and then get him to the vet asap.
Sorry, being a Vet Tech I guess I can get a little over cautious. I have seen a ton of weird things that have obstructed so I get worked up quite easily.
I hope your pup is good and the tampon will just slide right through. Oh! never pull any string if it is seen coming from the rectum, get him to the vet and let they deal with it.
Silly dogs, why oh why would they eat a tampon, sooooo...gross.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 5:16pm PST 
I agree, a big problem might be a super absorbent-because they expand as they gather fluid-in a small to medium sized dog. Otherwise if there's none of the mentioned symptoms it should pass without problems. Being basic about the situation for future reference kids ewwww though it is...when you have a dog with access to wastebaskets, tampons and kotex can be really yummy, used diapers too. So keep cartons of all of the above and especially used ones somewhere securely sealed and out of reach
[notify]

Barked: Sun Oct 6, '13 6:15pm PST 
We have a 7 lb dog that just ate a tampon tonight. I read info online and ended up calling the animal hospital, as I was mainly concerned due to his size. They told us to induce vomiting with fresh hydrogen peroxide. We tried this several times, but he only vomited a little saliva. I called them back and they said we needed to bring him in. They quickly got him to vomit it up with apomorphine, and said otherwise it would have taken surgery.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2