GO!

My dogs genetic condition.. venting

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 2:53pm PST 
When we got Kali, we got a 2 year health guarantee. She did become ill, but we chose to keep her. The breeder gave us a refund, but we had to get her spayed, which is what we were planning on doing anyway. She's 8 years old now and her breeder still sends us a questionnaire every year, checking on her health. I didn't see anything in your agreement that said anything like that? I would run away from that breeder and never look back. I do agree that it's very hard to return a puppy once you've become attached. That's why we kept Kali. Good Luck!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 3:12pm PST 
Scooter, AKC does NOT register breeders, only dogs. And, that registration only means that the parents were registered as well.
It's like a car, you can register a car with no engine. It will still be legally registered but that doesn't mean it will run!
I would strongly suggest you check the laws in your state...many have puppy lemon laws and most of those state the breeder must refund veterinary fees up to the cost of the puppy, no matter what their contract says.
And, demodex mange is NOT an inherited condition. It is present on ALL dogs but those with weakened immune systems are unable to keep it under control. MOST puppies will outgrow it when their immune systems mature, with no permanent effects. I would probably get a second opinion from a different veterinarian as this is not an uncommon problem in puppies of MANY breeds and they get it whether or not their mother has/had it herself. Chihuahuas are one of the breeds on the commonly affected list.
It used to be a common belief that it was hereditary but newer research has debunked that theory. Yes, a poor immune system CAN be inherited, but that is more likely a result of stresses to the puppies when they are extremely young, either by inadequate nutrition, temperature control, cleanliness, or other animal husbandry factors.
[notify]
Neva Blew- Sky

Ya can't keep a- good dog- down..Bow! Wow!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 5:07pm PST 
Toto, thanks for educating me.
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 7:42pm PST 
Keep her. She is your dog and will not understand being sent away. She will come to a bad end if you return her, either being used as a puppy machine or sold cheap to who knows where.

Go after the breeder, whatever you can get, but don' go to the breeders level and treat your puppy like a defective product, a thing. She has feelings and she thinks she's your dog, don't throw her away.cry
[notify]
Neva Blew- Sky

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 8:41pm PST 
Fritz, smile I'm so scared..I'm confused...I'm scared for her either way...I definitely don't want to give her back.....but I don't know what to do..she told me that if she can't care for her she will put her down...

She definitely makes me feel like she belongs to me and I do feel bad but..ugh..

IDK
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 1:45am PST 
Toto that's my understanding of demodex. It's totally treatable. Everything has demodex even humans. They're supposed to be one of those symbiotic critters and not a pest at all, only sometimes something goes haywire and they either provoke a histamine response, or they beccome overpopulated.

It's really nothing more than a vet prescribed topical treatment for the rash, and immune system boosters, vitamin E, sunlight or vit D suppliment, witch hazel, sometimes steroids by the vet's reccomendation, low stress environment, and good high protein well balanced food, and wash the blankets every day. The mange usually clears up by the time the puppy is a year old. It's not a good reason to spay either. Your vet is telling you something questionable. Spaying should be at your discretion and judgement alone, or for serious genetic problems that are actually genetic, like liver shunts or double merle.

you should keep her. the reason you think of terrible scabby skin with mange is because the dogs that get that way usually don't have someone who loves and cares for them all the time. You should never abandon a chihuahua. . . you should know that it looks like you've got 1 chi per year for the past 3. They are very sensitive to pack changes. In fact, stress from taking her from mom and into a new environment may be a reason for the trouble showing up. Just give time and love, that's all.

Edited by author Sat Feb 16, '13 1:56am PST

[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 4:01am PST 
If the breeder will not be responsible and will euthanize her, then I would take back my advice to return her. I would still go after the breeder for money, though.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 7:03am PST 
I wouldn't ever return a dog to a breeder due to health issues, and no ethical breeder would ask. But I would go after the breeder for a refund.

I get that it's frustrating but there is no reason to panic. This is a treatable, manageable condition. I would be getting a new vet though.
[notify]
Hoss

Hoss the Boss

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 7:32am PST 
My last dog had mange. Since I had no intention of breeding her anyway that wasn't a issue with me and no way could I return her. It was treated effectively and she lived to be 13.5 years old. I would go after the money from the breeder though as she offers a full refund in her contract.
[notify]
Neva Blew- Sky

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 7:54am PST 
I ask her after hearing you all out and she says giving a refund is up to her the only thing she can give is another dog. I have told her that I decided to keep Neva. The vet says that is happening because of a hormonal change..she is due for her first heat soon. I told him that I noticed her licking her vaginal area more than usual.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5