My dogs genetic condition.. venting

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  

Do you even- lift?
Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 12:45pm PST 
I wouldn't take either of her offers. Up to you whether you keep the one you have, but I wouldn't get another dog from that breeder even if it was free. Not worth the probable cost later on.

As others have said, the Continental Kennel Club is a sham of a registry, and even American Kennel Club registration guarantees nothing about health or temperament. That breeder sounds all kinds of shady, and I wouldn't continue dealing with her except to see if she'll refund any of your money.

Edited by author Fri Feb 15, '13 12:53pm PST

Neva Blew- Sky

Ya can't keep a- good dog- down..Bow! Wow!
Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 1:36pm PST 
Dr. Watson, that was what I was thinking...I really don't have the money like that to take care of a sick pup. I was thinking the same but I doubt if she'd give me my money back..she hasn't mentioned it once...She's only mentioned taking the pup in return for another on another litter..Maybe I'll mention that to her.
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it
Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 1:37pm PST 
I hate when this happens. It's like when you buy a puppy from a pet store. You become attached to the puppy and then discover something is wrong. I know we sign on to take care of our pets when adopt, rescue, or buy. However, I know those who try to buy a dog through a reputable AKC registered breeder expects their pet to be healthy and free of any illness/disease.

It's a tough decision. I would find it hard to give the dog back, however, you have that choice. I personally would not want another dog from this breeder. When a breeder is questionable, i wonder what happens when the dog is given back frown

I'm not helping much, but I do sympathize frown

Neva Blew- Sky

Ya can't keep a- good dog- down..Bow! Wow!
Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 1:49pm PST 

That is actually how I feel..What will happen to her if I give her back, will she get as much care as I would....

Sounds like I shouldn't get another dog from her though. This is the second pup I bought from her, the first pup has no issue except for reverse sneezing issues but I think a lot of dogs have that...

Woo-woo- whineybutt
Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 2:08pm PST 
Ok so it is known that the parents have a genetic issue and shes offering you a pup from their next litter ?
The parents should be getting spayed / neutered as well.

"Pick of the litter" means NOTHING. It is a sham. It is a 'salesman' act. Unless you were getting a working dog, and had intentions of competing and showing, but you arent..

BTW the CKC (continental kennel club) is a scam. they're all in it for money. the reason people register with them is because their dogs are /mixed breeds/ and were denied from AKC or other registries because there was no proof the dogs were purebred.

If you have a contract I'd start reading and see what it says about genetic defaults and if she offers money back.
Honey a.k.a.- Honey- Bunchkins

Honey-Honey- Bunches of Oats,- Honey Bunch
Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 2:29pm PST 

I understand what you are saying...

She wants to give me a dog from another parent dogs(2 AKC dogs) who are AKC but she wants to be the one to pick the pup...

I was just going to read over the contract...I'm taking a look now.
Neva Blew- Sky

Ya can't keep a- good dog- down..Bow! Wow!
Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 2:34pm PST 

Deposit Agreement

Name: _____________________________________________

Address:___________ _________________________________

City:__________________________ _____________Zip:_____

Phone #:__________________cell with pictures Y ____N___

Has placed a deposit of $150.00 (one hundred-fifty dollars and No/100) (Cash/Check #___) towards the purchase of : F Chihuahua, CKC

Color/markings: Blue and White

Known as : Irene by the current owner,

And born : 08/30/2012 available no earlier than: 10/25/2012

Offer good through: September 7, 2012

Total price of Chihuahua is $300.00 (remainder to be paid in cash)


I understand that this deposit is non-refundable except under special circumstances* or by seller’s desire. I understand that if I change my mind, I forfeit said deposit.

*If chosen puppy becomes ill, dies, or has a congenital defect, said deposit will be refunded in full, or will be replaced by another puppy of equal value if one is available seller’s discretion.

All registration papers, health certificate/vet check if shipped, and feeding instructions will be provided upon payment in full (see above total price) payable in cash.

No puppy will leave the seller’s home until paid in full, weaned, and eating dog food. We do not micro chip, but encourage the new owners to do so.

Signed___________________________________Buyer Date__________

Feel free to contact me concerning any questions or concerns.

emailed 26Aug2012


(I took out her name & titles)
Neva Blew- Sky

Ya can't keep a- good dog- down..Bow! Wow!
Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 2:40pm PST 
I wanted to also post a picture of her: Registered under CKC as Neva Diva Jones

So you can see why I'm so attached


Do you even- lift?
Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 2:47pm PST 
It sounds like you should at least get your deposit back.

I wouldn't buy from a breeder who registered any of their dogs with the Continental Kennel Club, even if the pup you were going to get was AKC registered. No reputable breeder uses the Continental Kennel Club.

And again, AKC registration means nothing except that the dog is purebred. It says nothing about health and nothing about temperament. Good breeders health test for genetic problems relevant to their breed (health certificate/vet checked/physical is not health testing), and breed for stellar temperaments.

Sorry you've had a bad experience. There are a lot of smooth talking breeders out there who know how to say the right things. Best thing to do at this point is learn from the experience.

As others have said, it would be hard to give up a dog you've become attached to, especially when you've had her for five months. Have you talked with your vet about how much treatment will cost? Some vets will do a payment plan. If you do decide to keep her, you might want to look into pet insurance.

Edited by author Fri Feb 15, '13 2:49pm PST


It's all about- me.
Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 2:53pm PST 
I'd keep the dog, get the refund and never look back.
  (Page 2 of 5: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5