GO!

care after spay

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 11:59pm PST 
Recovery time is about 14 days in a female dog who's just been spayed. Limit Activity and Take Short Walks. The abdominal muscles and incision will need time to heal, so short leash walks for bathroom breaks only are recommended for a dog that's just been spayed.. Therefore, the dog must be kept quiet with leash walks only for the two weeks following the surgery.

Monitor the Incision. The incision for a female dog that's just been spayed will be several inches in length. It's a fairly large incision that must be closely monitored for any signs of infection. Symptoms of an infected wound include swelling, redness or discharge. The incision and underlying structures (i.e. blood vessels, muscles, etc.) will take 10 to 14 days to heal.

Clean the Incision 2-3 Times a Day. For the first 2 to 3 days, dog owners may be advised to clean the incision several times a day using betadine, which can be applied (generously) using a sterile gauze pad to gently pat the dog's surgical incision and surrounding area. This will disinfect the incision and surrounding skin. Allow the betadine to air dry. Note: This method should only be used on dogs with stitches (a.k.a. sutures) or a staple incision closure.

Keep the "Cone" On! After a dog is spayed, she will be sent home with an Elizabethan collar, also known as an "e-collar," "lampshade" or "cone." This will prevent the dog from licking the incision or biting the incision or stitches, as often occurs late in the healing process when the healing skin starts to itch. The "lampshade" must be kept on until the dog's stitches are removed about 14 days after the surgery.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 2:38am PST 
Guest, if you're going to copy paste from a website, you need to cite your source
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 8:31pm PST 
Well she goes in tomorrow morning.....I am scared for her!
I already can't wait to pick her up
[notify]

Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 1:45pm PST 
She is home, and she did wonderfully!! Her incision looks great so far. She is very happy to be home, as are we!! dancing
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 1:57pm PST 
cheer Hope she has a quick recovery!
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 3:32pm PST 
Thanks Onyx, me to!!!
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 3:37pm PST 
BTW, I do realize I should have asked the vet this question while we were there, I just wanted to bring her home so bad I forgot, and in his aftercare instructions it said nothing about it.....so am I to clean her incision at all? Or just leave it be?
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 1:05pm PST 
I think you're supposed to keep an eye on it for any redness, swelling, discharge, irritation but no, unless she got her belly really dirty somehow you don't have to clean the incision...Hope she heals up real soon!!!!little angel
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 3:24pm PST 
Thanks, me to, she is doing great so far and her incision is healing fast.
Although the only thing is since she has been back she has had runny bowel movements......not liquid but softer then usual, I imagine it's because they probably fed her a different food then she is used to, and also the medication (pain killers) and stuff that they put her on? If it isn't solid by tomorrow I may have to call just to be sure.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 3:53pm PST 
In addition to the unusual food and pain killers, stress can cause loose stools. The whole ordeal of being at the vet, being in pain, changes from her regular routine, ect. could be causing it. I wouldn't worry too much as long as it clears up in a timely manner.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3