GO!

Different ways to administer oral medications?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 10:55pm PST 
Toto, I believe you are referring to Metronidazole. Is margarine safe to give to a dog that has GI tract inflammation? So far I haven't found any information saying that it isn't safe, unless the dog has had pancreatitis though.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 4:24am PST 
You are only going to use enough to coat the pill, not cover it...probably less than a quarter teaspoonful so it shouldn't be an issue.
Yup, that is the correct spelling!!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 10:42pm PST 
Yeah, point taken, Toto. Thanks. smile Anyway, to the OP, I wonder if your pill pushers have arrived. If you've tried them out and they didn't work, Toto's got some great advice. As he said earlier, use enough margarine to coat the meds. Any updates?
[notify]

Garnet

TNT comes in- small packages

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 8:43pm PST 
For pilling my dogs I use greenies pill pocket treats. These treats come in a variety of flavors and are really easy to use. They even have an allergy safe one. These treats are made to put the pill in and close the treat around the pill. My dogs love them and little Garnet will run to me when she has to be on meds for her treat with her pill tucked inside. The dogs dont even know they are getting the pill.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 11:59am PST 
I have tricked my dogs into swallowing pills by tossing small bits of treats to them. Usually they catch and swallow, no thought. After 3-4 treats toss the pill. 9 times out of 10 they just catch and swallow.
Cheap white bread can be rolled into small,doughy balls that's why vets often suggest it. But it doesn't work with all bread.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2