GO!

Different ways to administer oral medications?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 7:06pm PST 
So I've been dog sitting for the past few days now and unfortunately had to take the dog in to the vet today. They gave me some antibiotics to give him to help get rid of suspected GI track inflammation. Now I have never given a dog any kinds of meds and I failed miserably when I tried to give this dog his first dose of the day. I mean I tried wrapping it in bread with him continuing to spit it out. I tried sticking it in his mouth and keeping it shut until he swallowed it, but nothing. I surely hope that he at least got some of it, but I'm afraid it was mostly dissolved (not in his mouth) from the saliva. Could I crush it up into a powder and mix it with something like a little applesauce? I know a lot of people use hot dogs, but I don't have any of those and I can't go out right now b/c hubby is at work and my kid is asleep. The vet said no cheese or peanut butter for him. Does anyone else have any other ideas or tips? Thanks in advance!
[notify]
Madison- Ainsley

I- ammmmm....Hoooow- ie Girl!

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 7:44pm PST 
Unfortunately most antibiotics taste just terrible so crushing it up and giving it to him would probably not work well. You stated that he is on antibiotics for a GI upset (weird to give antibiotics for that) but is the dog wanting to eat? If so you can try wrapping the pill or capsule in some string cheese or some yummy chicken. One way we give meds at the clinic to the dogs who just will not take meds is to give a few bites of the cheese or whatever we are using without the meds in it, say two or three times, then when the dog actually does not think the treat has the evil pill in it we will slip the pill into the next treat and tada...they actually take it.
Or, if the dog does not have major tummy problems we will try canned whipped cream, same trick as above but they love the whipped cream and willingly take the pill.
Cream cheese works well also, but please ask the Vet if any of the above suggestions will upset the dogs already upset tummy.
There again I am surprised about the antibiotics and not something to calm the tummy inflammation.
Best wishes with the pill giving. It can be so frustrating. One of our most difficult pets with pills was "tricked" with cinnamon applesauce, he loved it and who would've thought.happy dance
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 8:10pm PST 
The vet said no cheese or peanut butter because it could upset his stomach. He told me to try bread, but that was unsuccessful. I thought it was unusual that he prescribed antibiotics as well, but when I asked him about it he just said that it would help with the inflammation. shrug I just went with it. He's the vet and should know what he's doing. Thanks for the tips!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 9:43pm PST 
I learned early on that not all vets know what they're doing... that's why the search for a good vet can be a pain.

In any case, I would make a slit on one of his soft treats that he is allowed to have and stick the pill in there.

But, I can give my dogs a pill without treats. I just push the pill on the side right behind the farthest tooth underneath the tongue with my finger and they swallow it. They actually sell the "pill pusher" called a pill gun at the pet store but I've never had to use it.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 11:40pm PST 
I agree with what the guest poster is saying. I have also come to a conclusion that not all vets know what they are doing, but let's just hope that your vet isn't one of those kinds of vets. Anyway, you can actually put in the meds in one of your dog's favorite food or kibble. Then again, does your dog want to eat?
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 2:28pm PST 
He's not my dog, I'm just dog sitting so I don't have any owner approved treats with me. He's eating fine right now. I actually tried mixing his second dose of the day with applesauce last night. Another fail. I ended up ordering one of those "pill pushers" that another poster has suggested. Should be here tomorrow!
[notify]
Molly

Shiba-dors rule!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 3:02pm PST 
I would check with the vet to see if you can crush the pills. It won't work with all meds because some need to disolve in the dogs system and crushing can result in them getting too much medicine too quickly. Anyway, if it can be crushed, try mixing it with a little plain yogurt and letting the pup lick it off the spoon. That was the only thing that worked with our GSP. I would think the vet would be ok with yogurt, it's good for GI and tummy troubles. Best of luck to you.smile
[notify]
Madison- Ainsley

I- ammmmm....Hoooow- ie Girl!

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 6:33pm PST 
Opps sorry, I did not see the original post where it said no cheese or peanut butter. Antibiotics don't usually treat gastric inflammation and can cause GI upset if not given with food or on a full tummy. But he is the Vet.
I think we would've given something to help the tummy feel better and maybe antibiotics if we suspected an infection of some sort.
Does the dog eat canned dog food? You can try mixing it in the wet food, another thing to mix it with is meat baby food (without onions) most dogs love them some baby food.
Pill poppers can work well but you have to make sure the dog actually swallows the pill and doesn't just hold the pill in their mouth until you are not looking and spit it right out. Once you get the pill in the mouth, softly close the dogs mouth and rub his neck along his throat, most of the time you can feel the dog swallow so hopefully you will have gotten it down the dog.
Dogs are so great at getting around taking their pills, you have to fool them for the most part if they are at all leary about you giving them a pill. Try to make it a fun thing, sorta a treat time. Once you start to chase them down the game is fully in their court.
Best of luck
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 11:27pm PST 
Ah, well, don't worry about it. Let's wait for your pill pushers to arrive so you can try it out on your dog. I just hope it works, though.

I wish the owners would have you told you or at least showed you how they were able to give him some meds. That piece of information would have helped you a lot. Anyway, good luck! smile
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 6:55am PST 
I am sure the antibiotic is most likely Flagyl, which is indeed given for intestinal upsets. I can remember the generic name, something like metrodiazinole?? In addition to antibiotic it also contains anti-spasmodics for relief of cramping, etc. and is a commonly prescribed antibiotic for issues such as this.
I coat the antibiotic with regular margarine which makes it slide down much better. Open mouth, place as far back on the tongue as possible and then lift head while gently rubbing the throat. 99.9% of dogs will instinctively swallow.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2