GO!

Anyone have experience with dog vomitting blood?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 6:48am PST 
Ok, so this is my first post, but I'm just very desperate for any kind of information I can get at this time. I have been dog sitting for my neighbor for the past 3 days now and last night her dog vomited up fresh blood clots (I guess with some thin clear fluid). After throwing up, he of course had no interest in eating his last meal of the day. Even after several hours, he just wouldn't touch it. I didn't find any additional vomit when I continued to check on him and he had no diarrhea. About 2hrs after vomiting, his intestines started making very audible noises. Now I did contact both his owner and the emergency vet. The vet said as long as he didn't continue to vomit and there were no changes in his mood, it was ok to monitor him overnight. So this morning he did finally decide to eat the food left out for him. I still haven't seen any additional vomiting, but the blanket the owner left for him (red one go figure) does have some wet spots on it. Because it's a dark colored blanket, I don't know if it's vomit or if he was just licking/chewing on it. His mood and energy levels are still satisfactory. I did send the owner another text of her dog's conditions this morning advising that she allow me to take him to the vet to get checked out, so right now I am just waiting for her response. Now, I have a one year old child so I don't just leave things lying around. I can't think of anything this dog could have gotten too that would cause this to happen! Like I said, the owner knows what's going on and I'm just waiting for her to contact her vet (at her request), so I am just trying to find ways to pass the time and calm my nerves. Has this happened to anyone before? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 11:56am PST 
Assuming the dog has not gotten into anything,and that the shots are up to date,the only other thing that comes to mind right off would be hook worms or another intestinal parasite or infection. Were it my dog,I would be at the vet first thing. I do understand that you can't do that without the owners permission but it is certainly advisable that this dog see a vet NOW!!! Good Luck in convincing the owner to allow you to take the dog in. I too would be very upset and frightened to be pet sitting and have something like this happen. It is unlikely that your child would be in any danger from whatever is wrong with the dog but I would think it's still best to keep your child away from the vomit anyway. Good Luck.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 12:10pm PST 
hopefully you hear back from the neighbor. I can tell you right now, if my pet sitter called with that, I would ask her to take my dog to the vet. I think I have a good enough relationship with my vet that they would let me come in after we came home to pay for it, but at the very least, I could pay for it over the phone.

I am kind of surprised that the emergency vet said to monitor but if he seemed completely normal except for the blood he vommitted maybe it's just something that upset him? I'm not sure. i hope he feels better and he is okay flowers

Edited by author Mon Feb 11, '13 12:14pm PST

[notify]

Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 12:37pm PST 
as a pet sitter I have clients sign a Vet release form. They know that in an emergency if unable to contact them I will be taking the dog to the vet at my discretion.
Usually an ER Vet here will not give advice over the phone without seeing the dog. I am kind of surprised they did for you.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 5:50pm PST 
Is there anyway he got into rat poison? If there is anyway he did, then he needs to get to the vet ASAP! Good Luck!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 5:57pm PST 
I was able to get the dog to the vet. When we got in, he was acting perfectly fine, so they didn't really do a whole lot. Gave him a shot to settle his stomach and gave me some antibiotics to give him for any inflammation in his GI track. Yesterday was my first time calling an emergency vet, so I didn't know what they normally would've done. I'm actually also surprised they didn't just end up telling me to come by considering I called them like 3 separate times! And yes, I was very upset that this happened while I was watching him. I'm actually trying to do dog sitting regularly, so this was very discouraging. Anyway, he's still doing good I just can't stop wondering what could have caused this to happen. I wish the vet had been able to give more answers... confused
[notify]
Budro

You are missed!

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 6:01pm PST 
I have. Two years ago, my dog Budro, hadn't been feeling well all morning(listless) and I was growing concerned. I had the dogs out to potty and he just wanted to stay under the porch. I finally coaxed him out and he promptly started throwing up blood. I immediately took him to the vet, who did all sorts of tests and finally determined he was suffering from both kidney and liver failure. The vet believed she could save his life and immediately put him on fluids and some medication I have now forgotten the name of. I said good-bye and left him in the hands of the vet. The next morning they called me and said he had passed away during the night. cry

Vomiting blood is serious, the dog needs to see a vet ASAP. hug

ETA: glad the dog was able to see a vet, hopefully it wasn't anything life-threatening serious.. hug

Edited by author Mon Feb 11, '13 6:04pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 6:53pm PST 
@Budro RIP I know it was 2yrs ago, but you have my condolences. frown
@Kali no rat poison
[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 7:53pm PST 
I agree that you did the right thing getting the dog to the Vet, anytime a dog is vomiting blood it should be considered serious. We always tell our owners that if they are going out of town and leaving their pets with a kennel, pet sitter, family member or friend please give them a signed emergency medical release along with emergency phone numbers. Also, have the owners contact their Vet and tell them that they are going out of town and give them the name of their pet sitter. This way it will cover any emergency vet or their vet should the need come up.
Bloody vomit can be caused by a few things such as rat poison, secondary rat poisoning (the dog eats a mouse that has eaten poison ending up poisoning the dog) foreign objects, gastric bleed just to name a few things. Getting to the Vet, doing bloodwork is essential.
I hope the dog is better and you can relax. You must've been so upset.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 3:58am PST 
What food is the dog eating? There is a dog food rumored to be causing liver and kidney damage.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2