GO!

Seizure?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Penny Mouse- Fart Ayala

I eat, therefore- I am.....

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 6:19pm PST 
Sorry Luke, I forgot to add that I'd always give Penny some honey on my finger she'd lick off after a seizures in case it was brought on by low blood sugar. I don't know if that's what caused it, don't think so, but honey doesn't hurt and she loved it and seemed reassured, so why not? I'd wait until she was herself again before I'd get my hand near her muzzle. If you try that when they're still disoriented, you might get bit. If the dog doesn't want to lick it, then rub it on thier gums.
[notify]
Luke

Proud to serve

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 11:30am PST 
Thank you for the helpful responses. Her dog is doing well and the vet has not come up with a cause at this point. Hopefully this was a one time issue and not an ongoing problem, but we'll see I guess.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 12:34pm PST 
That can be good and bad. Many dogs who end up with lifelong seizures have them for unknown cause. Age, too. How old? Usually, idiopathic/genetic seizures crop up at around age two.

So this is sort of a hold your breath era. And I am sorry to be a drag....but honesty is best in these cases....the next one can be worse. Having a seizure, it is explained, carves a pathway in the brain that didn't exist before, making it easier.

Generally speaking, establishing patterns are important. Not only to pass onto the vet, but also that the pet owner will easily recognize one is coming. My Maltese foster had some reports of seizures but hadn't in the long times(s) I've fostered him, but just from my experiences with Daniel, this week I looked at him and knew one was coming. Just a subtle disorientation and also walking in circles. And then it came. Not a grand mal, though.

Dogs can't choke on their tongues as humans can. I guess some people have different protocols, but mine is to clear things out of the way and then back the heck up. You want to reassure, that is your instinct, but the dog is disoriented and IMO it's just best to give space.

Agree with Penny re the sugar post seizure. I'd give Daniel some ice cream.

Edited by author Sat Feb 9, '13 1:19pm PST

[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 1:10pm PST 
I have to agree with Tiller..

I'm glad the dog is doing better.

Sadly, it could end up being that they do start coming - and more and more frequently. Charlie had his first seizure(since being in my care anyway) at three years old. It took me completely by surprise and took me a moment to realize what it was. They're HARD to get through. Fortunately, I have a dog that prefers the company of his human when he's disoriented, confused and stressed. It keeps him calmer, than if I walked away. But this is VERY VERY individual-dog based. I certainly wouldn't try being right there with just any dog. I found taking him outside after he was back to normal helped to dispel his stress too, as he'd get distracted by wonderful smells and the beautiful fresh air of outside.

Anyway..

Even if it was a one time thing, have your mom record it anyway. In the instance that it happens again, she'll have it recorded and can start keeping a journal of the seizures. It helps to establish what triggers the dog, helps an owner to recognize the signs of an impending seizure, and can really help when you learn how to time it too - if a seizure goes too long, it can kill a dog. Doing some research on it just in case can really help too.

You can have your mom check out a fantastic website here.

So.. while I do hope it was a one time thing, it does sound like it was an idiopathic seizure, which suggests the high possibility of further seizures.

A grain-free, preservative-free dog food with no chemicals or dyes can really help too, because preservatives(BHA, BHT, Ethoxyquin - sp?), chemicals and dyes in foods can trigger seizures and can make them worse. On Beneful, Charlie had three seizures a month. On dog food that is grain-free, preservative-free, without chemicals or dyes, he has MAYBE one every four months. Although, unless it starts happening more frequently, you shouldn't have to do any major life changes for him right now.

If your mom needs to chat about it too, she can always join the forums and chat here with those of us who have experience with epilepsy in canines. We're more than happy to try to help, both with controlling them, and understanding them, figuring out triggers, establishing life changes, etc.

I do encourage recording it, just in case for right now though. Other than that, we'll hope for her that it doesn't happen again. It can be hard to deal with, emotionally. hug
[notify]
Maggie (I'm- Moms Angel- Now)

Punish the DEED- NOT The Breed!!!

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 1:08pm PST 
My late husky Maggie had seizures for two of the three years that we had her. They were very scary for me to witness. We took her to a vet who when I asked and demanded that they do blood work on her refused to do so claiming that it was too expensive. I called another vet who got in contact with her former vet and they came to the conclusion that her seizures were brought on by either a lesion or a tumor on the brain. They told us that in March of last year and she crossed the bridge at home on her own on October 28,2012. I was crushed to say the least. That being said the seizures she would have the last few months of her life got to a point that if we tried to touch her during or after one she would bite or snap at us. We would wait about half an hour after she came out of one to give her a little bit of clear Karo syrup which we would rub on her gums and put two drops under her tongue. She didnt like it but she allowed us to do it.
[notify]
Luke

Proud to serve

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 7:20am PST 
The dog is 2 and a half. My mother doesn't have internet service so she cannot join the forums.

One of my concerns with the dog is that he is very, very fat. He's a yellow lab, poorly bred to begin with, and he is a good 25lbs overweight. (Last weigh in was 110lbs.)

He is on a good food. I believe it's grain free. However my mother treats him to fatness. She stuffs his kong with braunschwager to keep him quiet when she leaves for work, and she also gives him "just a bite" of this, "just a bite" of that all the time.

When I protested her poor feeding habits, I was told my dogs are too skinny and I don't know what I am talking about. (I have vet verification that my dogs are in fantastic shape weight and otherwise.) It's like she cannot SEE the fat on her dog. If you pat this dog on the flank, the jiggle lasts a full five seconds after you quit.

I'm at a loss on what to do. The vet still hasn't come up with a cause for the seizure, and she's been told by me, her friends, her vet that the dog is a massively obese.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 10:29pm PST 
Oh that poor baby(re weight).. It is possible for the seizure to have been idiopathic if nothing else can be found.

I've found a lot of people are very... ignorant, I guess would be the right word.. about what a healthy weight should be for a dog. Everyone says my puppy Ria is too skinny, when in fact, she is at ideal weight and is extremely fit for her body type. Ignorance is bliss, and if a person won't listen to that many people.. There really isn't much that will help. In fact, I think what she DOES need is a good dose of reality, in which she finds her dogs health to decline rapidly(NOT WISHING THIS HAPPENS but if it does..).. I've found it's really the only thing that makes people realize. "Why is my dog so ill?", "He's obese.. His heart is giving out." and it's a fresh hit of reality that's strong enough to make them realize, "Well crap, I'm killing my dog." y'know? I don't wish for that to happen, or to have to happen.. But it may be the only thing in the end that makes her take notice.
[notify]
Quincy

We don't doodle!

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 4:41am PST 
Labs are a breed with plenty of hereditary epilepsy lurking in their backgrounds. He is right in the age group when it commonly shows up.
Please notify his breeder so they won't continue to breed those dogs and subject others to the same heartache in their pets.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2