GO!

Giardia ?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Arkane

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 12:47pm PST 
Hi everyone
A few weeks ago I posted about Arkane having loose stool and vomiting. He got on antibiotics and it cleared up.
Sunday was his last day of antibiotics and on Monday he was having diarrhea and vomiting again.
I took him to the vets and this time he tested positive for Giardia (but he didn't last week?)

Does Giardia have any long-term effects on a puppy ? We're starting treatment asap but I'm worried on what this could have done in the long run to my growing puppy ):

Thankyou
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 10:25pm PST 
The effects of giardia can have a long-term impact on your pup’s immune system and bowel function. In order to help prevent these long-term effects, it is highly recommended that you use Probiotics to help reduce inflammation in the intestinal tract and rebalance intestinal flora.

From what I know, along with any prescribed treatment, there is a natural dog giardia treatment mode using herbal remedies, which can help to improve symptoms and lower the chance of side effects caused by anti-parasitic drugs.

By the way, how old is Arkane?
[notify]
Arkane

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 8:22am PST 
He is 14 weeks old
I'm guessing he got this when he was 11 weeks old, though.
I've been adding yogurt (1 - 1 1/2 teaspoon a day) to his diet since about 12 weeks old.
[notify]

Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 2:08pm PST 
When we got Chance at 10 weeks she had the worst case of Giardia the e-vet had ever seen. They took digital pictures of her slide to send to the area vet clinics to see if any other vet clinic had seen anything like it.

She had a few more bouts of it until we removed the bird feeders she liked to hang out under.

The medicine always cleared the infection up each time.

We did frequent butt cleaning to clean up any cysts that might have stuck to her fur and we dug up a layer of dirt when she'd poop then disinfected the shovel. Luckily she had 1 spot she favored for pooping when we got her.
[notify]
Kimiko

Barkster

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 7:05pm PST 
When I got Kimi at about 16 weeks, she also had a bad case from the shelter. It was a bit of a pain to get rid of as those cysts can be long lasting and reinfection is pretty common. I lucked out and didn't go disinfectant crazy and still managed to get rid of it, but it took several rounds of meds to finally get her over it.

I didn't notice any long lasting effects, though I do wonder sometimes. The biggest immediate effect was her going from a calm, snuggly puppy straight into an energetic terror as soon as she was finally rid of it for good!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 12:25am PST 
Yes, yogurt works. Vets may recommend symptomatic treatments as opposed to specific medications. One of the symptoms of a dog having giardia is acute or chronic diarrhea and yogurt helps control your dog's stomach issues.

Yogurt helps add back the good bacteria into the intestinal tract. Just make sure the label says "live active cultures" though.

Natural remedies to treat giardia are extracted from herbs, and rarely have side effects. Different products like slippery elm, grapefruit seeds, garlic, Oregon grape and licorice can help control diarrhea and support overall body condition of a dog with giardiasis.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 7:51am PST 
I work in a dog kennel and lots of our dogs get Giardia. The vets treat it with a Fori-flora powder that goes into the food, immodium and some other tablets. But good luck with it, hope he feels better. hug
[notify]
Arkane

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 2:32pm PST 
The label on the yogurt does say live & active cultures.. Never thought to look for that before buying. Thanks for that!

Is this stuff really that hard to get rid of ?
Wow..
I might have to be a little more proactive to get rid of it, then?
Maybe I'll get some flora powder and add that.

Kimi.. Lol.
I'm excited for him to be all bouncy and puppy-like! I feel like I've been dealing with an oldfart in a puppy's body.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 10:17pm PST 
Well, I'm glad that you got the right kind of yogurt. If you want to try out what Kashmir has suggested, it wouldn't hurt to ask your vet if you can give that to your dog too. way to go
[notify]