GO!

My puppy has a puppy tooth that didn't fall out, but the adult tooth has come in

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Scooter

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 4:00pm PST 
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/sakuraa14/E15298BE-8C5B-4F09- A1AC-5AFE186D4875-466-0000003098AE14C8_zps06b8d494.jpg

Above is a picture of my seven month old puppy's tooth. It appears to me his adult tooth has come in right next to his puppy tooth. There is almost no room between the teeth. I will be contacting my vet Monday, but was curious if this is something that can clear up by itself. Would surgery to remove the tooth be the only option?
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 7:50pm PST 
Ive seen that already a couple times in my pup also. I dont think it's anything to worry about. How long have they both been there though? If the puppy tooth doesn't fall out eventually maybe call the vet but as I said my pup has had the same thing in the last couple months with her teeth but within a couple days her tooth will fall out and the adult ones have came in nice and straight.
[notify]
Rain

Future agility- star!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 9:16pm PST 
My co worker and I were just talking about this actually. Her aunt has a dog that NONE of it's baby teeth fell out when the adult teeth came in. So we asked the dental tech and she said that it's normal and if it isn't causing issues with the dogs daily life, it'd be fine. But I'd still talk to your vet though, just in case. Is he neutered? They might be able to remove it when that's done
[notify]

Ch. Ali, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 6:23am PST 
Extremely common, especially in toy and small breeds. The problems are that the extra teeth cause crowding and out of place adult teeth and they will also trap food and stuff (threads, fibers, etc.) and lead to tooth decay and other mouth problems.
Ideally, having them pulled at about a year old is good. Doing dental stuff while there is surgery elsewhere (neutering, etc.,) is dangerous as bacteria from the mouth can easily enter the blood stream and cause infections in the fresh surgical site so is not recommended.
So far, with my toy poodles, my vet and I have been able to pull the extra baby teeth without anesthesia since they are usually already somewhat loose.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 8:33am PST 
It is very common to have baby teeth pulled during spay/neuter. They are not infected at that point and just need to come out. You do need to get them out though because they can cause decay and jaw misalignment problems.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 10:29am PST 
My daughter just had what Fritz recommended done with her Maltese puppy last year. He was 15 months. Her vet would not neuter until he reached 5 pounds and just before his neuter they did bloodwork to make sure he was healthy,and started him on antibiotics to prevent any risk of infection,they pulled 4 baby teeth that were not loose and had not come out when the adult teeth came in. He was given pain med for 3 days after the surgery and everything went fine. If the teeth do not come out on their own and you do not plan to spay or neuter,then they should be taken out by the vet to prevent other issues.wishes
[notify]
Scooter

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 12:31pm PST 
Thanks everyone! I called my vet and they told me to wait a couple of weeks. My pup , Scooter, has already been neutered. He lost his boy parts a few weeks ago. I didn't notice the tooth then. I
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 12:48pm PST 
While you are waiting for Scooter to completely recover from his neuter before proceeding,a shame neither you or the vet caught it before,I see no harm in giving Scooter a nice raw bone to chew. That or perhaps others can suggest something else that might make the tooth loose enough to come out on it's own. When I was much younger I had a cocker spaniel that managed to remove her baby canine by on her own just after we had scheduled surgery by chewing on a rock.(Not a method I recommend allowing)wishes to both you and Scooter. He is adorable by the way.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 3:16pm PST 
Fritz, it isn't whether the teeth are infected or not, it is because of the amount of bacteria in the mouth, which enters the blood stream when the tooth is pulled or there are any cuts in the mouth.
This is the same whether it be surgery for a dog or surgery for a human. No dental work is recommended directly before, during or after ANY surgery.
I have always been asked when my last dental work (yes, even a cleaning) was done prior to any surgeries I have had, and also told to not have any done for a minimum of two weeks after.
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 4:59pm PST 
I had a young dog that had trouble with his baby teeth. He was very calm and we were able to reach in the mouth and wiggle the baby teeth. This did help to loosen then and they feel out after a couple of days
[notify]