GO!

Arthrities pain relief

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 3:17pm PST 
My 2 year old husky has arthritis in her hips, are there any natural forms of pain relief that might help her? Massage, herbs, etc?
How safe are oral medications like Pet Bounce - tttp://x.co/t3eo ?
thank you
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 5:10pm PST 
For our 55 lb. dog we use daily:

Glucosamine/chondrotin supplement
* 1000 mg. Glucosamine
* 800 mg. Chondroitin

Fish Oil at a therapeutic dose
* up to 300 mg. total Omega 3 fatty acids for each 10 lbs. of body weight
(With the oil we use, that is about 4000 mg. of fish oil.)

MSM
* 1,800 mg.

Vitamin C
* 500 mg.

Zeel Tablets (homeopathic)

Traumeel Tablets (homeopathic)
* 1-2

She also gets:

Massage
* Professional: Every other week
* By me: Every day except when the professional comes

Swimming
* Warm water pool: every other week
* River, lake, ocean: whenever possible and safe

Chiropractic and Veterinary Rehab
* As needed
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 6:22pm PST 
Years ago, we had a retriever with pretty bad hip displasia and arthritis. It got so bad that he had trouble walking on flat surfaces and couldn't climb stairs anymore because it hurt so much. And I think he was only about 7 years old at the time. We found that a high-quality diet, short walks, and a couple pinches of MSM supplement(the powder form sold by the bucket at feed stores) in his food did wonders. After a while, he was running up and down the stairs to retrieve toys and did so until the last few months before he died at ~14 years old.
[notify]

Murphy

Dogs are angels- with fur!

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 12:00pm PST 
There are lot of supplements you can give but whatever you choose make sure it has MSM, it looks tremendously with the inflammation which causes the pain. Murphy is on Glucosamine/Chron. plus MSM
[notify]
Lilly CD CDX- JD JDX AD

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 12:56am PST 
Do the human store glucosamine chondroiton tablets contain msm?
[notify]
CHARLIE

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 4:48am PST 
I need to save this page for future reference. BOTH my dogs have arthritis. Charlie is having some serious issues suddenly since yesterday, though. Suddenly can't walk - his back legs just keep giving out on him. He doesn't seem to be in much pain, but this is still very frightening. I am not able to pick him or or help him much. But I did start him o Rimadyl & Methocarbamol yesterday. I'm gonna stop the methocarbamol though, because today he seems to be worse & can't even get outside to potty. I will definitely get them both started on the arthritis supplements mentioned here. Thank you for your help.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 7:16am PST 
Lilly just a quick response to your question. Some human Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements contain MSM others do not. If the one you are looking at contains it,it is listed on the label usually and you don't even have to check the ingredients.
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 9:01am PST 
you can also look into Adequan injections. Your vet can show you how and you can do them at home yourself. It soothes and lubricates the joint, naturally reducing inflammation and pain by reducing friction. Even better, instead of just masking pain as NSAIDs do, it actually helps to rebuild cartilage in the damaged joint.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 10:24am PST 
Max gets a human grade glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement, fish oil and eats a raw diet naturally high in the same stuff. He needs more protein than Sassy did to maintain good muscle mass which is important to support the poor joints. He gets a lot more vitamin E than required for nutritien, not sure it is doing much though. I recently doubled the amount of fish oil and he seems to be freer moving and a cyst on top of his head has been shrinking as well!

Agree about the MSM, I threw away a supplement without it as it was worthless. Adequan worked great for Sassy too but is quite expensive.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 10:44am PST 
I would try Pet Bounce. You can talk to your Vet first but it's worked for a lot of people. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D29CKQlGV9I
[notify]