GO!

Tooth Brushing?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 1:50pm PST 
Just a question I was wondering about? Do you really have to do anything special with dog teeth if they seem clean and healthy with normal gums? I mean with cats it's pretty much something you don't think about unless there's a visible problem. But there are so many tooth cleaning things out there for dogs, I was just wondering if it's something you HAVE to do?
I give them each a Dentastick a day and keep an eye on their mouths. Like I said, everything looks clean, sharp and shiny.
They do have daily snacks of different people food. Would that be not so healthy for their teeth or do they sort of self-brush chewing bones and crunchy stuff? Thoughts?dogdog
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 2:24pm PST 
Honestly, it really depends on the dog. Just like with people, genetics play a huge role in oral health. Some people don't have to put in any extra effort to keep their dog's teeth clean, some give teeth cleaning products, raw meaty bones, brush teeth, ect. and still have to take their dog in for professional cleanings, and most fall somewhere in the middle. Apparently small dogs tend to have more issues with teeth than larger ones.

From what I've heard, the whole "kibble cleans teeth" is mostly a myth, so I would definitely brush a kibble dog's teeth, use products intended to clean teeth, give chews like raw bones and bully sticks, ect. even if they looked clean and healthy. If you wait until there's a problem, it's much harder to resolve and may require professional cleaning which isn't cheap. Most raw feeders don't do any supplemental cleaning and report healthy teeth into old age (although for some dogs even RMBs aren't enough). Even if you don't feed raw, a once weekly raw meaty bone can go a long way in keeping teeth clean.

I feed raw but I also brush teeth every day, and have been since before his adult teeth even came in. I figure it's easier to prevent a problem than to treat one.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 6:03pm PST 
Well, my two are 10 and 7 years old and have perfect white teeth. I've never brushed them, but i do give daily hard chews to help keep them in tip top condition and Missy is obsessed with chewing up sticks if that helps any laugh out loud. They're both fed kibble. I think kibble can have an added effect on keeping teeth clean but for the most part the kibble is to small to be of any huge benefit.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 11:52pm PST 
It is said that it would be ideal to brush your dog's teeth every day, but most people don't do that. As far as I can remember, I've been brushing my dog's teeth once a month. But my boys do try to brush our dog's teeth at least once a week. We've never had any problems with their teeth, though. They're perfectly white and shiny. Sharp too.

An example of a human food that you can give to your dogs that won't harm their teeth are baby carrots. Plus, you wouldn't be overfeeding your dogs if you feed them veggies.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 6:48am PST 
Our vets have always asked us to brush their teeth at least two to three times a week. Each vet we saw shrug Mine get chews every day and a dental stick after each brushing.

I only do it because the vet says it can make a difference shrug
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 12:03pm PST 
I asked this question a few months ago because Mika's breath really smelled horrible. Since then I have started brushing her teeth once a week and giving her raw meaty bones ones and a while, and it has helped. I did none of this before except for give her dentasticks and they didn't work. I know a lot of people have told me that if the teeth look good not to worry to much, but I think it is generally a good idea to brush once a week at least and or raw meaty bones.
[notify]
Colt

A cute little- devil.

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 3:56pm PST 
I think that the perfect time to start brushing is when the teeth are still clean and healthy. Their dental health will decline if it's not kept up somehow. I don't think it's a good idea to wait until there's disease or visible calculus to do something about it.

I don't think people food is bad for teeth, at least not more so than dog food. Besides, people food is fresh and healthy (if you're feeding the right kinds of people food wink ).

I don't brush Colt's (or my cat's) teeth because it's inconvenient and he hates it. Instead I give him RMB's three or four times a month and use Petkin Plaque Gel every day (same routine for the cat). Petkin gel is a similar product to the dental gels made by Tropiclean and Petzlife BUT I would recommend the latter products over Petkin because Petkin has parabens in it. It works well, but I will be changing when my bottle runs out.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 8:10am PST 
"Plus, you wouldn't be overfeeding your dogs if you feed them veggies."

This is not true. You can definitely overload your dogs with carbs that is found in veggies.

As for the teeth, it seems like the OP's chew treats is taking care of his dog's oral health just fine. No need to get special toothbrush and the like, just keep with the dental chews and you should be good.
[notify]
Seth

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 5:05pm PST 
It is a good idea to start brushing them early so the dog will get used to it. And it will not be as big a battle then if you waited for them to get bad before you brushed them
[notify]
Sausage

feed me

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 12:20pm PST 
I give RMBs, but I also brush just to be on the safe side silenced
"Looking white" isn't really an indicator of being healthy? Vets have these fancy lights that they shine in their mouths, and you can see things you can't see with the naked eye
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2