Close X

Bella collaspsed again :(

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 5 of 6: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!
Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 4:48pm PST 
That's tough. hughughug

I hope they figure out what's wrong with Bella soon.

Don't feel too bad about missing something on a test though. Some things can just flare up i guess. I took Caroline straight from the shelter to the vets office. She had a clean bill of health minus her mouth which was bad.

We go back Monday again for her mouth and i get told she had a grade 2 heart Murmur. Thankfully after Xrays her heart was okay.

I"m sure you'll find whatever it is. Did all her blood work check out? It's not the big C or anything like that?

Akita Pals- Always.
Barked: Tue Mar 12, '13 7:11pm PST 
Poor Bella-hughughughughughughughughughughughughug Wish they could find out what was causing all of her issues.wishes on her latest problems and a speedy recovery.

Member Since
Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 1:24am PST 
Oh my, poor Bella and poor you too. That's a lot of things you have to deal with almost all at the same time. I just wish that everything will turn out fine in the end. My prayers to you and Bella. hughug


Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 6:04am PST 
When your vet sent out a titer are they including a test for Rocky Mountain? Even some strains of lyme disease can go undetected by a 4DX test. Just like with people there are so many strain you can't test for all. Before the paralyses began I was going to suggest syncope. Did they check her blood pressure? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get some answers soon.

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 6:30am PST 
Thanks for all the well wishes. Bella is not really better this morning. She seems to be in more pain, but the pain seems more spread out. She is not paralyzed, she just won't walk because the pain in her front limb, however now it seems to be in her hips as well. She is having major issues even standing up. She will get up to eat but other than that she does not move. She refuses to lay on anything I put down to help her get up. She is able to urinate and defecate but is in obvious pain when doing so.

I was reading over the write up they faxed to her vet and neoplasia and cachexia(wasting away) are mentioned, so I guess cancer is not out of the realm of possibilities. They said her lungs were clear and the X-ray from her chest yesterday am looked okay other than the normal enlargement she had had from before( but not any worse). I went through all her records this morning, and I have brought up her weight loss many times and muscle atphoy and vet said it was okay because she was still normal weight. Most concerning is her loss in the past year..because she maintained 140 for a year plus..but from Mar 2012 to now she has lost 20lbs, eating the same amount if not more than she had maintaining that same weight.

My understanding of the titer done, we are checking for all...I was trying to write them out but my ipad keeps changing the spelling to something stupid, so E, B, L, RMSF, and A.

I will continue to keep her as comfortable as possible, she is eating, drinking okay but she does not want to be touched. She will moan at try and look away if you pet her at the shoulder or hip areas, she doesn't mind me petting her face and ears. She did have a temp yesterday and she has some nasty eye goobers she had never had before.

I will update when I know more, hopefully beginning of next week. I hope the tramadol can do better, because this girl is miserable.

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 8:50am PST 
What other medications did they put her on? If Gabapentin isn't one you should ask if you can try it. Its a great pain blocker. Someone I know had something similar caused by a tick born disease where she couldn't use her front legs, she couldn't afford the larger specialty hospital in our area so her regular vet put her Deramaxx, Doxycyline and Gabapentin. It took some time but improved greatly. She gets a flare up from time to time but is doing very well. May not be the answer for Bella but an idea.

forever loved
Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 4:03pm PST 

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 5:09pm PST 
Titers came back today and it was all negative.

She seems alittle better tonight, so hoping she continues to feel better tomorrow.
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it
Barked: Thu Mar 14, '13 5:48am PST 
We are pulling for her....i know she has been through a lot. Sending more PoP and hoping they can figure it out hughughughughug
Nakita Mae- Angel Girl

Live to dock- dive!
Barked: Thu Mar 14, '13 10:43pm PST 
I am so sorry you and Bella are having such a rough time, I can only imagine how helpless you must feel.

Just a thought but has Bella seen a Veterinary Neurologist? The reason I am asking is that we had a Dalmatian come into the Vet clinic with quite a few of the same symptoms as Bella, seemed to have front limp weakness, collasped for no reason, trouble breathing at times, losing wt, but still eating, drinking, normal defecation, normal urination. All blood work (chem panel, cbc, tick borne titers, endocrine panel) came back within normal limits, xrays all normal but the dog seemed painful (or so we thought it was pain) in the joints.

Well, one of our Vets asked me about Myasthenia Gravis which is what I have, my symptoms were very similar right down to looking as if I collasped, I call it "crash n burn" it was actually complete muscular/nerve exhaustion caused by Myasthenia Gravis. So, long story short, we did a antibody test, while we waited for the results we did a tensilon test on the dog (we had to get the tensilon from the local human hospital) in a very controlled enviorment just in case the dog had a bad reaction to the tensilon (which would happen if the dog did not have MG) Sure enough, the dog had a positive reaction, it was amazing, the antibody titer came back positive also.
The dog is now under care of the neuro doc, taking the meds which are being titrated over time and observation. The dog is doing quite well now and with continued observation and time I am sure the dog will thrive.
It took me 6 months to be diagnosed, awful testing by some very unknowing docs, it took me going into complete collaspe and being admitted to the ER, just happened to have a resident whose sister had MG, he tested me and tada, finally a diagnosis, 10 yrs, 3 tumor removals, a ton of medication trials, lots of self education and I am doing well, close to remission.
It is worth a thought, cannot hurt to ask to see a neurologist.
Oh, they also thought I had a heart problem due to my trouble breathing and MG can affect every muscle in the body, the heart being a muscle.
Best wishes and I do hope you can find how to help your Bella.
  (Page 5 of 6: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6