GO!

Changing nose color?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mayhem

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 8:18am PST 
I had no idea which forum to put this under. My Goldens nose color goes from almost black to mostly pink in the winter time and then back to black for the summer. What causes this, the cold itself or the time of year? Someone told me when she was a pup that feeding them in stainless steel bowls instead of plasic keeps their nose black but she's always been fed on stainless (not that I believed that would do ANYTHING anyway). Plus her mother has the same nose so it's obvious genetics factor in. Just curious though exactly what causes the change during the winter months?
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 8:38am PST 
Sounds like snow nose.

Snow Nose In The Golden Retriever

What causes snow nose?

Edited by author Tue Jan 22, '13 8:49am PST

[notify]
Seth

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 9:19am PST 
We always call it winter nose. I have had dogs that had it in the past, and it did not hurt them at all. When it got warmer the color came back.
[notify]

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 5:02pm PST 
Kali's turns pink every Winter. You can tell by her picture what time of year this was taken. laugh out loud
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 7:00pm PST 
For the most part, if your dog's nose changes color, it's nothing to worry about and it may be part of the aging process. The enzyme producing pigmentation doesn't produce as much color as the dog ages. But it's always best to be safe when it comes to the health of your dog and see your veterinarian to make sure the color loss is nothing serious. The only real problem for a color change in a dog's nose is if the dog is about to enter the show ring circuit; he will be eliminated for not meeting breed standards.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 11:18pm PST 
The link provided isn't working. Anyway, my dog has a naturally pink nose. Well, one of my dogs rather. His brothers' and sister's noses were completely black. It was only his that was pink. At first we thought it was unusual, but it looked good on him anyway.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 5:11am PST 
there is a space in the word retriever.....when you click on it, remove the % 20 from the word retriever and make sure there are no spaces way to go
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 7:19am PST 
Huh, that's weird, it worked in preview before I posted it. Here's the link.

http://retrieverman.net/2008/12/17/snow-nose-in-the-golden- retriever/

(remember to remove any spaces that may appear in the URL.)

Edited by author Wed Jan 23, '13 7:21am PST

[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 7:53am PST 
As was said, it's "snow nose." A lot of Goldens and Labs get it in the winter. No worries. big grin
[notify]
Savannah- (2003-2014)

Noms? Noms?- Noms?

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 10:09am PST 
Yup, Savannah has it bad right now. Seems to be more dramatic since she moved from living in Southern California to Michigan.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2