GO!

Brands of Canine Toothpaste?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 7:24am PST 
What do you recommend? My little girls have some tartar issues....
[notify]
Seth

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 7:43am PST 
If the teeth are real bad, you may have to have them cleaned by the vet, and then really get serious about brushing them. I guess I do not have a favorite brand of dog toothpaste. I have bought many different ones at the petsmart I go to and have never had a problem with any of them. I also give my dogs greenies as treats. The Greenies seem to help get the tarter loose and makes the brushing easier.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 8:06am PST 
I couldn't find one with ingredients I liked. Looked into making my own, but decided it was too much work, so I use coconut oil. Most dogs love it, and it's supposed to have antibacterial properties, in addition to all its other benefits. There are lots of recipes online for making coconut oil based toothpaste, but I'm lazy and just use straight coconut oil.
[notify]

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 8:13am PST 
They aren't super bad. And the coconut oil sounds like a plan. I'll bet they like that.
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 8:18am PST 
I like the Nylabone toothpaste.
[notify]
Bandit

I luvs slippers

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 12:51pm PST 
I second the coconut oil suggestion.smile
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 1:46pm PST 
I never use toothpaste on my dogs, and none have ever needed dental work done. I do the RMB thing...raw meaty bones. smile
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 2:46pm PST 
Lily gets RMBs but I still have to brush her teeth. shrug
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 3:26pm PST 
We just buy whatever peanut-flavored toothpaste is out there for Clyde. He loves that flavor. I've found daily brushings do a great job of maintaining his overall dental health, but in the event his teeth don't get brushed for a while, the tartar builds up and is there to stay. However, We give him crushed rawhide sticks. Those are sold in bulk at very low prices and they are very good at removing tartar from Clyde's teeth. The only hard part with those is that it seems 90% are made in China and 9% are made in Asian countries near China...
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 6:43am PST 
Squ'mey, we are raw feeders and the rmb's work great on the big dogs. I have wondered if it has something to do with the size...but the little girls get plenty of rmb.

So I have to think it is the way they chew or genetics. Anyway...brushing won't hurt. Clyde, I know they would love those rawhides too...so I'll shop for some non-China or Asian brands. We have a couple of good stores around here. Somebody is bound to have good quality. And by the way...you are a handsome devil, aren't you?
[notify]